Wednesday, May 14, 2014

DEAD FLY



Late last night as I was shutting the lights off and getting ready for bed, a very large and angry housefly made the fatal mistake of flying around my house.  To be honest, it was near-fatal for me, as well.

I saw the big bastard buzzing around as I headed to brush my teeth.  I lost sight of it as it zoomed into the den, and I figured I'd see it on my way back through.  I readied the fly swatter at a handy position, then I flossed, brushed, and fluoride-swished like someone whose aging teeth might actually be salvageable. 

I grabbed the swatter as I passed through the kitchen again, and I paced around searching.  I admit that I may have whistled a few times and called out, "Here, little fly, come and get it," but the damn thing ignored me. 

I went up to bed, half-hoping that the fly wouldn't careen up my nose during the night and half-hoping that maybe it would just to make a good blog story.  I fell immediately into REM sleep, as is my strange biological habit, and awakened about twenty minutes later from a bizarre nightmare, making my first floor-walk of the night.  I moseyed back down to the kitchen, I don't really know why -- maybe for water or maybe just because -- where I stood momentarily in the dark trying to decide if I were truly awake or not. 

Suddenly a giant BUZZ wracked my left ear.  The damn fly dive-bombed me in the dark.  I jumped sideways, picked up the swatter that I had conveniently left handy (just in case), and began flinging the plastic-wire-rubberized mallet around the air like a madwoman. 

I attacked; the fly retreated and charged anew.  Suddenly I was slapping at my calves, my thighs, my waist, my head with the implement of fly destruction.  I wasn't swatting the fly; I was swatting the crap out of myself, all the while jumping around and making karate noise:  "Eeeee-YAH!  WAAAAH!  Chaaaaahwooooooo!  HEEEYAHAHHHH!"  I thought I was the Ninja warrior, but it was the fly that was the Ninja warrior, and I was the crazy-ass victim who hadn't the slightest clue what the hell I had gotten myself into.

I spotted the black demon out of the corner of my right eye and began flailing wildly with the swatter, hoping to whack the horrible insect right from mid-air.  Swoosh, woooooosh, swoooooooosh…  Each wild arc of my arm completely missing its mark.

But then … there it was, hanging in space near me, close enough for me to get a glancing blow, and down it went, stunned but not yet mortally wounded.  I pounced.  Whackwhackwhackwhackwhack!  The injured fly rose up like the Phoenix and started to fly errantly away.  Whackwhackwhackwhackwhack!

 The table!  Damnit, the fly was on the table!

I didn't care.  I went in for the kill shot, anyway.  Guts spewed, little legs squirmed, until finally the sonofabitch was dead.  A Clorox wipe and some paper towels later, the evidence was gone.  Nothing remained but the fly swatter and the distant memory of my insect-induced wild Watusi kitchen dance. 

I slept fairly soundly for the rest of the night.  I'm not sure if I owe that to solving the fly problem, the exercise of chasing it down, or the thrill of the kill.  Thank goodness it went the way it did, though.  The number of times I swatted myself during the altercation, I'm amazed I didn't fall over and crack my skull wide open on the counter.  Otherwise that fly would be celebrating over me, and I doubt it would be so kind as to wipe up with a Clorox sheet when all was said and done.

I'll leave you all with a little philosophical bull-tickey:

The Fly
by William Blake

Little fly
Thy summer's play
My thoughtless hand
Has brushed away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink and sing,
'Til some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength and breath,
And the want
Of thought is death,

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die?