Friday, May 30, 2014

"SEND"

I'm tired.

Every night it's a crapshoot.  Most nights I sleep a little, get up, walk the floors, and sleep a little more.  Occasionally I actually sleep for five to six hours at a stretch before randomly waking up.  Rarely I will have those sleepless nights where I cannot get comfortable or make my mind shut off. 

Then there are those nights of instant shut-eye.  These are the nights that sleep hits me so fast, I cannot even remember going to bed.  Kind of like what happened last night.

I texted a friend to blow off steam about work, but she texted back that she was at the movies.  Don't worry about it, I sent back.

I went about my business and eventually decided to turn in at a reasonably early hour, around 10:30 p.m.  I had just gotten comfy when my friend texted me back.  She was out of the movies -- did I need a phone call chat?

I started to text her back, had the message all ready to go, and could've sworn I hit send.  I assumed I would hear the chirping sound of an incoming text in reply.  The next thing I know, it's after 1:00 a.m., and my phone and glasses are both next to me on the bed.  Apparently I dozed off ... rather rapidly.

I put the cell phone and my glasses on the bedside table and went back to sleep.  When I awoke in the morning to start my day, I remembered the evening phone texts and checked my own cell phone, horrified to discover that I never hit send.  The text to my friend was still sitting quietly, waiting for me to actually send it somewhere.

My friend must've thought I'd passed out on the furniture somewhere.  One second we're chatting, the next, I'm off to LaLa Land.  And here I thought she'd found something better to do than chat with me; No, she was waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TGIF, folks.  TGIF.