Saturday, May 10, 2014

AHHHCHOOOOOO

I have seasonal allergies.  This much I know.  But could someone please explain to me how I could possibly be experiencing seasonal allergies inside a room with zero windows, zero ventilation, and zero access to the outside world except one hallway door that leads to more enclosed space?

This morning in my classroom, I start sneezing.  My homeroom kids think it's hilarious.  My schedule is all turned upside down, so my first period is empty.  It's my prep period.  I sneeze some more.

By the time my first class arrives, my nose is running and I am blowing snot bubbles like a two-year-old.  I sneeze no less than eight times while that class, which is a study hall, is in there.  Thanks to my strange schedule, I will now be on my feet teaching straight through for the next 4.75 hours, and I suddenly feel like shit.

I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze through the next three classes.  By the time my last class arrives, I have sneezed probably thirty-five or forty times and have gone through a dozen or more tissues.  Eight or so more sneezes top off my day.  It feels like I am either in the throes of a horrible allergic reaction or I have developed a sudden and rapidly worsening cold.

When I go outside to my car, I expect it to get worse.  It does not.  As a matter of fact, I stop sneezing.  I stop blowing snot rockets.  I can actually breathe again.

Either I have suddenly developed a severe reaction to plywood, or some new construction-related agent is seeping into my classroom. 

I'm not going to panic ... yet.  But if this happens again on Monday, I'm going to have to do something about it.  I don't know what, but something.  I mean, truly: I cannot afford to be sneezing my brains out all day; Lord knows I need what little I have left as it is.