Wednesday, May 28, 2014

SLEEP DEPRIVATION



Long weekends suck when they end.  Truly.  I have had a rough couple of months finishing up school and with changes going on at work, and I hit the wall big time over Memorial Day weekend. 

I try to do some stuff over the weekend, but the weather totally blows.  Then there is the whole battle with the crapping inch worms.  Friday night I sleep pretty well.  Saturday night and Sunday night -- I sleep better than I have in a long time.  I sleep nine hours each night for two straight nights.

Then comes Monday night.  Monday night, the eve before returning to work after the extended holiday weekend. 

Monday.  Night. 

You bastard.

I am certainly tired enough, dozing off while reading a book and half-watching the hockey game.  I finally get into bed around 10:30, figuring this will be late enough to pull another decent (but not nine-hour) sleep.  It starts out well enough -- I don't flop around too much.  I have the window open, the fan on, and layers of bedding to kick off or pull on as my body sees fit.

Then 1:30 a.m. arrives, and I awaken, but not for long.  Then 3:00 (The Witching Hour) arrives.  I trek to the bathroom then back up to bed, fully expecting to doze off again.  So I wait.  And I wait some more.  Then I toss, turn, and try to get comfortable.  For some reason, my mind is going a mile a minute about random shit that doesn't matter now, won't matter tomorrow, never will matter.  I will not even remember hours later what is occupying my brain at this hour.

It takes me until about 4:15 to fall back asleep.  At 5:17 a.m., the alarm goes off.  I semi-watch the weather report, flick the channels as if I might actually watch something at 5:30 in the morning, which, surprisingly, happens more often than I care to admit.  By the time I roll downstairs to start my day, it is 5:45.

Everything seems to be going well, too.  I'm not rested like I was over the weekend, but I've probably slept enough.  Right?  Five-plus hours isn't bad.  It's my usual, anyway, and I've done worse.  I once slept nineteen hours over seven days and lived to tell the convoluted tale.  Decades ago I worked third shift and often went days without real sleep.  I raised three babies through childhood diseases to young-adulthood.  Who amongst us has not pulled an all-nighter or two or three or more under similar conditions?

Then I make the near-fatal mistake.  I peer at myself in the mirror. 

Being kind to myself, I'll admit that I look like I've gone a few rounds with a prize fighter.  (Being kind, of course.)  My eyes are puffy, the skin under my lower lids sags bluish-red, and I have hollow marks on my cheeks.  I resemble a cross between a street brawl reject and someone having a severe allergic reaction.

Maybe I'm allergic to my job.  Maybe I'm allergic to my life. 

An hour, a shower, and lots of make-up later, I am able to leave the house and get to work, but most of the day is spent worrying that my eyeballs might fall out of their sockets and roll under my desk where I cannot reach them.  Not shocking, though, is the fact that all of my colleagues look the same as I do and share similar tales.

"I couldn't sleep last night…"  A common theme in the hallways.

As the students arrive, they, too, complain about being restless and not sleeping Monday night.

Maybe the Cosmos are off-kilter.  Maybe it's the lousy un-pre-summer weather we are experiencing.  Maybe it's general malaise.  Maybe we all really are allergic to school.

I'll try it again tonight.  I'll attempt to sleep and see how it goes.  It may be another night of interruptions and restless thoughts.  Perhaps there's another wall to hit in my near future.  Either way, just like today, I have to hit the ground running and pretend I'm functioning, but if you happen to be near my classroom, bring me some new toothpicks.  The ones I have propping my eyes open right now could use replacing, and I'm too tired to get up and change them myself.