Monday, March 31, 2014

STILL MARCH

I know it's still March, at least for 24 more hours.  But I'm ready.  I am so ready to replace those damn things.  I am sick and tired of  changing them in and out and in and out between the same two sets.  It's annoying.  It's gotta be spring soon because I am sooo ready for ....

Cotton sheets.

That's right, plain old, ordinary, high-thread-count, decorative, cool, freshly-laundered cotton sheets.  The kind of sheets that are crisp when you crawl into them, especially fresh out of a shower.  The kind of sheets that have that permanent linen smell to them.  The kind of sheets that scream refreshment.

But no.  I am re-applying flannel sheets.  Clean ones, yes, but still.  Flannel sheets.  And this time I had to put on the blue ones with the ... oh ... I can barely make myself say it ... with ... the ...

Snowflakes.

Ugh.  I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.  Snowflake-patterned flannel sheets on my bed.  In spring.  And it's not even that we New Englanders expect winter to just stop.  We are fully aware that we are in the danger zone for nor'easters with heavy snow for at least two more weeks.  We get that.  Totally.  It's just that ... well ... this winter has been so damn long.  Really, really long.

So please, I know Tuesday is April Fool's Day, and I also hear tales told that Wednesday and Thursday might actually be (dare I say it?) WARM.  I do suppose that being inside the plywood classroom with zero air flow and hot temperatures already, I should be careful what I wish for. 

But I am ready.  I am ready for short sleeves and flip-flops and warmth.  Just once this year I'd like my fingers and toes to go 24 hours without frostbite.

Someone kick Mother Nature square in her ass, will ya?  Save me from the flannel sheets already!