Saturday, March 29, 2014

THE WEEK ENDS IN THE TOILET ... LITERALLY



It's no secret that I had a nasty week at work.  No, really.  We've changed our schedule seven times in the last ten days, I encountered alien life forms amongst the staff, and my brief visit to the boss's office resulted in my experiencing a lobotomy via osmosis.

So Friday's fiasco is the icing on the cake.  Friday during my planning period, I get stuck in the bathroom.

Next to my room and tucked into a nearly abandoned alcove beneath the staircase is a teacher's bathroom.  It's a one-seater with a thick metal fire door (you know, in case the toilet self-combusts), concrete block walls, no window, and it is about the size of a small broom closet.  There is a metal handle to operate the latch itself so that the door doesn't automatically swing open, but there is also a cheap hand-bolt lock about two feet above the handle to actually lock the door.

With about fifteen minutes until my last class of the day, I decide to pee.  I mean, I can live without going to the bathroom, but I'm still over an hour away from leaving for the day, which, on this particular Friday afternoon means heading to the pub at 3:00.  Might as well do a PBE, as my friend Sal puts it:  Preventive Bladder Emptying.

I head down into the alcove to see if anyone is in the teacher's bathroom.  I don't see any light coming from the crack at the bottom of the door, so I hit the handle that releases the latch, go in, close the door, and hit the hand lock that is at eye level.  All is right with the world. 

I do my business, wash my hands, and, less than a minute after occupying the bathroom, I am ready to unoccupy the bathroom.  I undo the lock, push down the door handle and …

Nothing.

The handle moves up and own, but the latch itself, the metal bar that rotates in and out of the handle connecting the inner mechanism to the abutting flash plate in the door frame, does not move.  I don't panic at first, but this sure is a conundrum.  It will be at least an hour before the only teacher in the area, the Spanish teacher, is done with her class and might happen to walk by.  Meanwhile, though, I have a class coming to my room in fifteen minutes, and no way to contact anyone.  I do not have my phone with me, and there is no window for me to open and crawl out.

I have had a door handle break on me before, so I start going through the mental possibilities.  If I can get someone's attention, the janitor can come, unscrew the handle, and … Wait.  No.  The screws are on the inside of the door handle.  I'd have to unscrew the mechanism in order to hand-operate the latch.  I look at the bottom of the door.  Nope.  Not enough room to pass a screwdriver through.

Well, the janitor can punch the metal bolts from the door and remove the door from the outside, and then I'll be free!  This will certainly work except for the one main problem: the bolts are inside … with me.

I try the handle again and again and again and again.  I have now been captive in the bathroom for about three minutes.  There is nothing to do except call out for help.  I refuse to scream and yell.  There are hundreds of students in this end of the building.  If I'm going to make an ass of myself, I certainly hope it's in front of another teacher.

I decide to try knocking from the inside.  No one will hear me, probably, but maybe when the students pass the nearby hallway in fifteen minutes, someone will alert a teacher.  I bang on the door three times. 

Suddenly from the other side I hear, "Are you stuck in there?"

God!  God heard me!  And God is a woman!  Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

"I believe I am," I reply.

"I'll go get help!" she yells, and I hear her feet take off down the hallway.

In the meantime, I try the handle again and again and again and … it clicks.  I pull.  The door opens.  I stand there awaiting my would-be rescuers and try the handle again with the door open.  It doesn't work.  By some miracle, it caught once and let me loose but will not catch again.

I tell the janitor who has come to my aid what has happened, and, after some teasing, he promises to fix the latch mechanism.  Meanwhile, the young woman who rescued me comes by.

"I was just about to go in there," she explains. 

"Well," I assure her, "your timing is perfect.  I had just realized I was trapped."  We laugh together, and we both vow never to use that bathroom again.  Truthfully, I'm not sure I'm going to use any of the self-contained, closet-sized potties at that school for the rest of my life.  I'll go into the girls' rooms and tinkle with the children because at least I can crawl under the stall door if need be.

Honestly, though, as funny as it is and as minor as it is -- I am only stuck in there for about five minutes -- I am extremely claustrophobic, and I truly did start having a panic attack while I was in there.  Although I'm chuckling about it now, it really isn't that funny.  Granted I had plenty of toilet paper, a potty, and all the water from the sink I could drink, but I am not one for enclosed spaces.  I've been stuck in an elevator, too, and I didn't care for that, either.

Of all people, and after the absolute suck-ass week I had at work, to get stuck in the lone, out of the way, never passed by, concrete mausoleum of a bathroom is poetic justice.  My week certainly couldn't have ended any other way.

But if I'd missed the pub because I was stuck in the bathroom, someone would've had to pass me a very long straw through the vent and made sure it was connected to a margarita.  That's all I'm going to say about that.