Thursday, March 6, 2014

SLEEP IS A WONDERFUL THING

I usually wake up several times a night with weird dreams, outright nightmares, or because I think I can't sleep (although I have actually been sleeping and dreaming that I am awake).  For the last week or so, I have been sleeping five hours uninterrupted then returning for a little bit more sleep. 

This is highly unusual for me and leaves me feeling more tired than if I awaken five times a night.  It probably means that I'm not sleeping enough, and this is my body's way of trying to play catch-up. I have also been running a crazy schedule, over-extending myself, getting to bed late, and generally running my own bad self into the ground. 

So this morning when I awaken on my own, I am kind of hoping it's maybe 2:00 a.m. so I can sleep for three or so more hours.  I try to focus my eyes.  It is not 2:00 a.m.

It's 4:59 a.m., and my alarm will be going off in sixteen minutes.  Almost not worth going back to sleep at this point.  I get up, hit the bathroom, grab a drink of water, and debate starting my day.  I decide it won't hurt to snooze for another fifteen minutes.

I look at the clock now that my far-sighted eyes have been open for a bit.

4:09 a.m.

Score.  I'm asleep again before the digits change.