Sunday, March 2, 2014

SATURDAY -- PART I



Another Saturday, another round of thesis writing. 

I am meeting a fellow grad student at the Plum Island Coffee Roasters Café in Newburyport for one of our sporadic but productive mini-marathon writing sessions.  My partner-in-font-riddled-crime usually runs a few minutes late, and I usually run a few minutes early.  It works for both of us because it gives me time to acclimate myself to the task at hand, and it gives her a chance to pack up her daughter, who has joined our writing group, at least in spirit, and bring her along.

In the course of getting myself ready to get down to work, I choose a table close to an electrical outlet in case our third writer shows up (her computer battery is being fussy, so she needs a plug as a back up). I spread out a few things to show I have actually claimed the space, and then I grab myself something to eat and drink.  Today I order British breakfast tea and a fat slice of banana bread.  After adding a little sugar and a fair amount of honey to the steaming travel cup, I am ready to light a proverbial fire under my proverbial ass.

And speaking of fires, there are two drawbacks to this café.  The first is that it is ridiculously small.  The second is that it is ridiculously cold, heated only by a small gas fireplace in the far corner.  However, the view, straight over the Merrimack River where it flows out into the Atlantic Ocean and past the route 1 bridge that connects Newburyport to Salisbury, is unbeatable.  I huddle at my small square table and get down to business.

First, I take out my notebooks and my folder of work to edit.  Then, out comes a writing magazine.  I pop open the tea to stir it, try to re-cover it, and spill about a teaspoon's worth onto the table.  After I disengage the one napkin from under the banana bread, I clean up my tea mess.  Now that I've touched the banana bread, my body believes that I should eat it … right now … do not wait for my partner, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.  Most of the subtle lipstick I put on this morning is subtly smearing  onto my tea cup, so I use the tea-dirty napkin to wipe up that mess, as well. 

Other than the woman who drags a chair to the makeshift hearth and completely bogarts the fire, it seems like a regular Saturday.  I do not get the piano table this week, so I position myself at the square table with my back to humanity.  After a few minutes of staring out the glass double doors, I start reading an edition of Writer's Digest magazine.  I realize it is a copy I've already read and earmarked, but I refresh my memory going through it again, anyway. 

I am deep into thought and silently minding my own business.  I am as much in my own personal space as one can be when one goes into a crowded public place to be alone.  I truly believe that I have properly and effectively made it clear to every other patron in the café that I am here to get work done.  People bustle around me, providing plenty of fodder for Hemingway-like conversation-stealing moments.  I am content in my own world.

That is, until the arm. 

A man is standing at my back, breaching that Third Wall between performers (people in the café, like him) and audience (that would be me).  I do not look up nor make eye contact, but his arm extends over my left shoulder and his hairy hand makes a balled up fist with the index finger directing itself to something on my table.

"Are you done with this?" he asks me without any other introduction or small talk.  He is clearly pointing to my pile of work.

What?  Done with what? My notebooks?  My folder of story drafts that require editing?  My half-eaten banana bread?  My steeping tea?  My chair?  This table?  The magazine I am holding down with my elbows?

I do not turn to look at his face, but I know he is not an employee.  Only two people are working, and they are both still behind the counter.  I can hear them from where I am sitting, even though I am not facing the register area.  The weird, creepy hand invasion continues, only now the index finger is shaking like it is really, really pissed off.

"This," he clarifies.  "Are you done with THIS?"

I still have no idea what he wants, but my brain is rapidly going through the possible list of things he could be asking me for.  I feel like it takes ten seconds to gather my thoughts, but I'm sure it's closer to three seconds.  I do not know what he wants, but the one thing I do know is that making eye contact will probably be fatal.  Finally, I stammer, "Done … with … what?"

He puts his finger down onto my tea-stained, lipstick-smeared, crumpled napkin and says, "Your napkin.  I need this napkin.  Are you done with it?  Can I have it?"  As if there is not one single paper napkin anywhere in this café, in this city, in this universe, except, of course, for the one and only paper napkin that I happen to have on my table.

My brain goes into instant overload.  Why does he need my already-dirtied napkin?  Is he trying to get my DNA sample?  Does he have some curious fetish? Is he a serial killer picking out his next victim and garnering the memento first before slaughtering me between the dry-docked boats in the lot?

I want to yell, "Bugger off, you sick fuck."  Instead, I stammer, "No.  I'm not done with it."

"Okay," the man, who shall henceforth be referred to as Wicked Creepy Napkin Guy, says reasonably.  Wicked Creepy Napkin Guy removes his finger from the table, recoils his arm from around my shoulder, and sits down.  At the next table.  Back to back.  With me.  Only about ten inches apart.  He looks like he is part of my table universe, yet he is not.  Wicked Creepy Napkin Guy is loudly speaking to the woman who is also sitting at his table.  (I do not look closely, but I'm fairly certain she has a paper napkin with her coffee.)

I am Flypaper for Freaks.

The coup de gras is unwittingly delivered by my thesis mate.  Shortly after she arrives, she asks if she can use my napkin.  Before I can recount the story of Wicked Creepy Napkin Guy, and before I can assure her that the napkin is filthy, she grabs it for her runny nose, blows into it, and crumples it up.

Hey, I may not want strangers touching my DNA-laced paper café napkin, but I've no aversion to my thesis mate touching it.  And, to be honest, I am relieved the damn thing is gone.