Saturday, March 8, 2014

I GET HIGH WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM THE CUSTODIAN





I have to leave work early today.  I have to leave work early, anyway, so I can get up to New Hampshire and collect my youngest from college, but today the school pays us to sit through meetings and get high.  Wicked high.  Wicked pissah high.  Wasted.

As I've mentioned about 600 times before, my classroom is slowly being swallowed up into the construction of the new high school.  Seven months ago my windows were completely encased into the new building, leaving me privy to what little ventilation I could steal from the still somewhat-open new school.  Three weeks ago, the windows were officially covered with giant hunks of plywood.  I now have zero ventilation and a carbon monoxide meter should the level go above 50 as it did last month.  Now my classroom experience includes an over-zealous heater, no air movement, and hours of being stuffed in a room with pre-pubescent bad breath and butt air expulsions.

Today we have a half day for students but a whole day for teachers with another "fun-filled afternoon of professional development!"  My little group, the group of seventh grade English teachers, is working in my room since teacher #2 and teacher #3 work in rooms with zero heat. 

About an hour in, we first notice the smell.  It's possible ammonia, maybe paint.  It's a hefty scent but not over-powering.  At least, not yet.  We work for about twenty more minutes, and then we notice that we're distracted.  A visitor stops by, peeks his head in, and inquires as to how much work we're getting done with all the fumes.  Truth is, we're not getting much done at all.  None of us can speak nor think coherently anymore, so we break up and start going our separate ways.

This is when we notice the custodian, Mr. M.  He is carrying a giant squeegee and is wearing safety glasses.  He is waxing an area of the floor that now leads to nowhere, thanks to the construction, an area that is less than a dozen feet from my doorway.  There is zero air flow in this area of the building, so the smell hangs in the air like invisible, thick fog.  As I grab my take-home work, coat, and backpack, and head toward the front doors, I tell Mr. M that he's doing a great job and that he is making us all high.

With this newsflash, Mr. M breaks into a huge grin and smiles, "No extra charge!  Getting high is free today!"

Obviously the fumes have gotten to him, as well. 

Does it get any better than this?  Missing brain cells, no ventilation, and making an early break for fresh air, not to mention a free trip into space cadets-ville.  Oh yeah.  Except for the fume-fueled headache I've got brewing, it has been a very laid back afternoon. 

Pass the floor wax doobie, kids; your seventh grade ELA teachers are unintentionally higher than kites.