Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WORKING IN THE CUCKOO'S NEST



Today I am told that I am unprofessional for standing by the current standards of my place of employment when in reality I am supposed to be following a vision that is two years down the road, as if it has already been adopted and instituted.

I am often capable of incredible feats of psychic ability. 

I am notorious for looking at the clock or waking up precisely when it's a certain time, like 12:34 or 4:44 (which I saw three times yesterday -- once on my alarm clock when I woke up during the night, once on the train ticker while waiting to go into Boston, and once on the stopped clock during the Bruins game at the Garden) or our personal family favorite, 6:22 because for some reason, every morning we look at the clock before school/work and it's always 6:22. 

I sometimes "smell" goals in sporting events before they happen, or smell approaching snow when none is predicted.  Sometimes I can sense what songs will be playing on the radio, start humming them, and then find they're played right afterward.  Once I was explaining to someone the meaning of synchronicities and how often they happen to me when the exact Sting song "Synchronicity" came on the radio.

I am also well-known for my penchant of bringing up people's names in conversation only to have them suddenly appear out of nowhere right behind me.  This can happen even if I am in Boston and they are in another state.  I swear they teleport to where I am.  I could be talking about the Queen of England, and the bitch would knock on my door.  I have perennial Foot-In-Mouth Disease.

I'm like some mutated form of idiot savant.

However clairvoyant I may seem, though, I am not precognitive.  I do not have the actual physiological ability to intellectually predict what will happen two years down the road, therefore how can I possibly be so professional as to practice a workplace tenet that does not exist yet? 

I mean, I'm good, but I'm not that good.

Seriously.  I am so fucking unprofessional that I do not know what is being planned behind everyone's backs for the next twenty-four months.  How in the name of all frigging things holy can I possibly still even be employed?  I must be the stupidest person on the planet if I don't know that what we have in place today certainly cannot be correct since it's not the plan for 2016. 

Dumb, dumb. Dumb.  Dense, dense, dense.

So, for the second time in less than four weeks, I am rendered speechless at my job.  Speechless.  Me.  The woman of multi-syllabic words, contorted clauses, phrenetic phrases, and run-on sentences.  Worldess.  Mute.  Abso-fucking-lutely unable to utter a response.

I return to my post completely shell-shocked.  It takes me forty-five minutes just to calm myself down, muttering to myself under my breath like a mental patient.  Feeling like I'm in some alternate bell-jar-like, Plath-riddled Nowhere Land.  I feel like any zest I had before this moment has been scraped down to the quick.  Quite frankly, I'm starting to wonder if I've gone insane.

Today there is no reserve left in my seemingly boundless tank of optimism.  Today in addition to being rendered speechless, my spirit has been crushed.  I feel like the butt of some giant cosmic joke, and that I am the idiot that didn't "get it."  The moron.  The lunatic.

I am Randle Patrick McMurphy after Nurse Ratched got to him.  I am RP McMurphy waiting in the hospital in a vegetative state for my savior the Chief to come and smother me with a fucking pillow.  There's nothing left but to count down the weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds until this year is over.  After all, apparently it's 2016 and I don't even fucking know it. 

Might as well just fire me now.