Thursday, October 24, 2013

THINGS ARE HEATING UP AROUND HERE

I turned on the heat today. 

I didn't have to.  I could've gotten by with the electric fireplaces a little bit longer, but, truth be told, I wanted to make sure the furnace started before sub-zero temperatures descended.

The last apartment I lived in was an electrical nightmare.  Every time I turned the heat on for the season in October, the attic would start on fire.  I live in a townhouse now.  For the last several years the furnace has busted every winter, usually both the first few times I turn it on and also on the coldest motherf***ing days of the winter.  So this year, I put off starting the gas furnace for fear that the damn thing would mock me and refuse to start at all.

So far, though ... so far the furnace seems to be working.  Hot air is being forced up out of the vents just like God and the furnace man intended it to be.

Life is a little sad when the high point of one's day is turning on the furnace.  But life is infinitely sadder when the high point of one's day is knowing that the furnace repair person can have the heat restored in two-to-four days. 

Here's a toast to toasty rooms.  Furnace, I love you, but if you give me a lick of trouble this winter, so help me God, I will kick your fat ass.