Saturday, October 26, 2013

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

My daughter got married last weekend.  It was a lovely wedding, and there was a lot of cake.

Lots and lots of cake.

I end up with a huge chunk of it, and the last thing I need to do is be eating cake.  I barely fit into my clothes as it is.  So, I pack up a few pounds of cake and send it off to college with my youngest son, but my refrigerator is still overflowing with more cake.

I am incredibly busy this week.  I make sure the leftover cake is wrapped tightly in plastic until I can finish cutting it into smaller pieces.  I mean, seriously -- the slabs of cake are pretty tall, and there is enough frosting to cause severe sugar shock in an entire small village of people.  Finally, though, I put some time aside and manage to fill two good-sized containers with cake.  Lots and lots of cake.

It's a half day at school, so not too many people will be filtering through the lunchroom, but I'm going to leave the cake there, anyway.  Hopefully someone will see it and spread the word.

Today, though, Lady Luck is clearly on my side.  There is a PTO-sponsored faculty breakfast.  That means everyone including the office staff and the superintendent's office will pile into the lunchroom for goodies.

I push some of the freshly baked munchies aside and grab a spot on the table.  "Do you mind?" I ask the PTO ladies, completely oblivious if they say no.  That cake, all of it, all lots and lots and lots of it, will be on that damn table if I have to stand guard to make sure it's on display.

I happily watch as people load up on coffee, juice, breakfast breads, and cake.  Yes!  Apparently the best way to make people happy at the end of the week is to slide them a breakfast full of wedding cake.

I am thrilled at the end of the day when almost all of the cake has been eaten.  It's gone!  Yay, it's all gone, gone, gone!  All lots and lots and lots of it.  However, so is my plate; my plate is also gone, gone, gone.

Oh well.  Small price to pay for happy staff.