Friday, October 25, 2013

HOW TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME AND STILL MANAGE TO MISS IT -- WOW. JUST WOW.



Wow.

I mean, there truly is no other word except wow.

After work I decide I'm not cooking tonight.  I order myself a pizza, tell the pizza parlor I will be there in twenty minutes, and head for home.  I actually have to pass my own house to get to the pizza parlor because my street cuts over to the safest roadside parking available.  I could walk, but I have a car full of work stuff.


There is a camera crew from WHDH TV parked almost directly in front of my house.  They are here to get footage of the church attended by a family who recently suffered a horrid tragedy.  The camera crew members may only be doing their job, but they descend like vultures in search of meat scraps. 

Immediately after parking my car in the driveway, before I even enter my house, I march myself down to the van to speak with whomever I find.  Turns out to be a lone camera man.  I ask him what he's doing, knowing full-well what his answer will be, and remind him that some people really deserve privacy and that's all the family asked for.  Yes, yes, he agrees, but I doubt that's how it will go.  I head into my house with my work stuff and my pizza.

The camera crew and van are still there hours later.  But so are a bunch of cops.  And so is an entire crew of workers.  And the railroad crew.  And a huge flatbed truck.  There are flashing lights everywhere.

A friend of ours works at the pizza place right on the tracks.  He posts on Facebook that a train and car have collided.  I am certain this is an old post because this happened not too long ago.  Nope, this is the real deal.  So I grab my camera, my cell phone, my keys, and I haul ass down to the crossing at the end of my street. 

Now, by haul ass, I mean I am running so damn fast that I almost topple down the street as I go.  That would be hilarious because I would do so in front of police and rescue personnel as well as the channel 7 news team.

When I get to the scene of the accident, the SUV is still partially under the train, the crossing sign has been annihilated, and a few maintenance people are milling around.  The camera crew is mysteriously missing.  This is strange because the Lawrence Eagle Tribune (aka The Lawrence Evil Rag) is only miles away and has a direct association with WHDH television.  I decide they must've already been there as the accident happened about thirty minutes earlier.

Wow, talk about timing! How often is a news crew right there, I mean, like seriously right frigging there when a train and car collide at a crossing?  Just wow.

I get my pictures, the SUV is eventually hauled away, and I hear the screaming whistle of an approaching train.  It's amazing to me that the tracks could be clear after what I have seen, so I haul ass one more time down the street.  I see the new train stopped.  I see the news van door open.  Yet still the camera man has not reappeared.  I peek my head toward the open van and see a different guy, a tech, who is not the same camera man I spoke to earlier.

"Talk about being in the right place at the right time," I say to him.

"Yeah, what's going on down there?" he asks me.

Wow.  I mean, dude.  Really?  You're about 150 yards from the scene.  Might you, oh, I don't know, walk down there and see why there are multiple police cars blocking the road?  Some frigging news crew you people are.  Just wow.

So I tell him what I know, what I have discovered on the local website in the time between taking the pictures, loading them onto my computer, and hearing the approaching commuter rail coming upon the accident scene.  I tell him that some idiot woman in an SUV drove straight into the train as it slowed and stopped at the crossing while pulling up to the platform. 

Camera Man looks at me funny.  "I didn't see anything.  Down this street here?"

I reply, "No, the one on the other side of the pizza parlor."

With this, his eyes grow large as tennis balls and he asks incredulously, "There's a pizza parlor over there?"

Mother of god.  These guys are professionals?  There are three people in the van, they have a second vehicle with them that they have been driving presumably around town to film the high school and the family's home that they're here to get footage of, and they must've passed the pizza place at least twice.  I can even see the pizza parlor through the leafless trees.  How can they not see it?

Wow.

So, let's see what we have here.  You're paid news people here to do one story when another story falls right into your lap, and you miss it?  Some insane middle-aged lady running like a banshee to the crossing by the pizza place didn't clue you in?  I mean, do you normally film in a quiet town and think nothing of a person with a camera blowing by you on foot doing about 15 mph toward all the blue flashing lights?  Do I look like a Kmart Blue-Light Special shopper to you?!

I'm sorry to say I believe it takes amazing talent to be at the scene of a breaking news story when and as it breaks … and you still manage to miss it even an hour later.

There's only one word.  Just one.

Wow.