Wednesday, October 30, 2013

LONG WINTER AHEAD

Damn, it's going to be a long winter.

It's only in the 40's, occasionally in the 30's in the morning, and I am already freezing my ass off inside my own home.  Right now I have the heat on, plus an electric fireplace, plus an electric heater, and I'm still feeling a chill all the way to my bones.

I prefer to be hot, except that being too warm makes a body sweat.  But it's a lot easier to cool down instantly when you're hot than it is to warm up quickly when you're cold.  When I'm cold, I'm cold down to the core of my being.

It's not like I'm walking around in shorts or anything.  I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt, corduroy pants, and thick socks.  The only thing missing is the winter jacket.

This is one of the first falls in recent memory that the furnace has actually started and kept running.  This happy and momentous occasion is marked by me knocking on wood.  Oh, wait.  Never mind.  Turns out that's just the sound of my ice cold body as my legs shake from the chilly air, making my knees smack intermittently against the wood of the computer desk.

What will I do when the weather really turns cold and ugly? 

Yup.  Long winter, indeed.