Thursday, September 26, 2013

STOP TOUCHING ME!



I've tried.  No, really I have.  I've tried deep breathing exercises, I've tried thinking of other things, I've even tried imagining myself not actually being me.  It's always a momentous failure.  There is one absolute truth in my life:

I don't like strange people touching me.

I've tried to have a mini-massage, but the woman got frustrated as soon as she started, working away at my shoulders with the force of a WWE wrestler.  I couldn't understand the problem until, exasperated beyond her limit, she barked at me, "Relax your shoulders!"

I barked right back at her, "They are relaxed!  Lady, this is as relaxed as I get."

Fail.

When I had foot surgery, the first consultation went badly.  The x-rays were fine; I had no problem with that, but then the podiatrist touched my foot and all hell broke loose.  The one place I despise being touched amongst all else would be my feet.  Either foot, doesn't matter.  Don't freakin' mess with my feet.  I've cut them, broken them, snapped almost every one of my toes at one time or another, stepped on nails with them, and I practically severed my left heel.  They've suffered enough, so move along, people, because there's nothing to see here and certainly nothing to touch.

The surgery went fine because I was unconscious through it, but the recovery -- not so smooth.  When the stitches came out, the doc tried to shoot my foot with novocaine until I damn near ripped the needle out of his fist. 

"Just pull the damn things out," I insisted.  "I'll try to hold still."  I only flinched a few times, but mostly it was because the incision itself made me queasy.

"You have a high tolerance for pain," he said after he finished.  Coincidentally, this is the same man who yelled at me weeks later when I insisted that I could feel him sawing off the cast.  "You can't feel that," he assured me, "it's impossible."

Bullshit, Dr. Bombay, I sure as shit can feel it.  My leg jumped involuntarily so many times the guy nearly sawed off my kneecap.

Fail.

And then there's the mani-pedi.  I'd never had a manicure before.  Somebody tried it on me once, and as soon as she pushed back my cuticles, I was out of the chair.  I don't know what in the hell she thought she was trying to do or where she thought those cuticles were going to go, but under the pads of my fingernails was clearly not the correct answer.  So when I went for my first official mani-pedi a few weeks ago, I knew what I was in for: A stranger was going to be touching me.

 I had to get a grip.

The nail filing shocked me at first.  I had never attacked my nails so brutally and vigorously, but I was pleased with how smooth the edges felt.  The French manicure went on with a shellac finish, and all was right with the world until she massaged my hands and arms.

Holy crap, she's touching me.

I suddenly felt like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.  It's not that it felt wrong or even that it felt bad.  On the contrary, it kind of felt of refreshing.  But I obsessed about the touching, and damn-near ruined it for myself.  I remained calm and collected, even drank two glasses of champagne on an empty stomach.  Hurrah!  Success!

Success, that is, until I remembered the pedicure part of the mani-pedi was about to begin.  I explained that I didn't like people touching my feet, and I gave a convoluted account of why: broken bones, surgery, cut, etc.  I told the sweet girl who was caring for me (and it really was nurturing because I was on the verge of bolting, bare feet and all) not to be offended if my foot twitched.  I was fully prepared to blame everything on medical conditions.

First came the foot bath, which felt amazing.  Then the feet came out of the water and touched a towel, followed by hands touching the feet that were touching the towel.

NASA could not have staged a better lift-off.  I was gripping the sides of the chair and had risen probably ten inches off the seat's surface, and that was just foot #1.  By the time she got to foot #2, my mind was unraveling and I was in serious need of medication. 

The woman hostessing the event quickly brought me more champagne.  I would just like to say here that she is an angel of mercy, and I also want to say that having a mani-pedi honestly is a glorious experience.  Much like my deeply-rooted aversions to thunderstorms and to fireworks, this anti-fetish of mine (not to have my feet touched) bears its root in real life experience.  But still.  It's a foot.  Get over yourself, appendage.

In the end, the chair survived, the towels survived, the manicurist survived, and I survived… until I realized my fingernails had shellac on them, and the only way to get the polish off was by visiting the salon again.  And so it is how I find myself back at the nail salon all by myself with no moral support and no liquid reinforcements. 

The manicurist is fantastic, and she's funny and makes me feel like this isn't merely my second attempt at a manicure.  (Skipping the pedicure part this time… Did I say "this time"?  I meant to say "forevermore.")  I insist on regular polish this time, though.  I want something I can take off myself.  And it's all going relatively well, I'm almost done, I've almost made it to the sit-and-dry stage.  Almost.  But then…

She touches me.

That's right.  I said it.  She starts massaging my forearms.  I am seriously willing myself to relax, but even as she is working out the kinks in my wrists and lower arms, I can feel my shoulders tensing as they involuntarily try to pull my limbs away from the table top.  My shoulder sockets are working so hard that they feel as if they may tear.  All this and I haven't moved one inch.  I am still sitting serenely as if this massage is the best thing since sliced bread.  And it may well be.  Except to me.

Because I don't like strangers touching me.  Dear lord, lady, STOP TOUCHING ME.

Fail.

Can you even imagine me at a spa?  Mud packs and deep tissue massages?  For chrissakes, they'd be peeling me off the ceiling.  I'd be in the asylum after that … but don't they tie down mental patients who do things like walk the walls and climb the draperies?  Oh, that would be bad because to apply the straps they'd have to touch me.

There must be no touching. Please, strange people, stop touching me.

And while you're at it, strange people, stop talking to me, too.  But that's a whole other blog for another day, right?