Tuesday, September 3, 2013

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT ... AND I GUESS I'M READY



Today is a day of many To-Do List items.

First thing is getting the kid off to college.  He is all packed, everything is right near the door, and he is ready to go.  He was ready to go mentally about a week ago, but he is physically ready today.  We have a plan:  If we can get out of the house by 7:45 a.m., we'll stop at Dunkin Donuts.

Cue the thunder storm and the pounding rain.

The storm is a fast mover, and we start loading the car while it is still drizzling out.  Eventually we get everything loaded, with nary a whisper of room left for anything else, and the skies open up again just as we close the hatchback.  Our departure time is 7:45.  Perfect.

We hit Dunkins, which is about a half mile from the house.  Son realizes he forgot to pack nail clippers.  Back to the house we go, only I can't pull into the driveway because if I do, I won't be able to back out again as I cannot see a blasted thing except bags and gear.  As soon as the kid returns to the car with the clippers, it starts to rain again.  By the time we reach the highway, it is coming down in buckets.

We drive in and out of several storms, but we also drive through several completely dry patches, as if the rain we've had for hours simply forgot to fall here.  Despite our slow pace so we can avoid several hydroplaning situations, we arrive before the 9:00 check-in starts.  Surprisingly enough, they are ready for us, and we move to a prime spot along the building. 

We are given fifteen minutes to unload, and we clear the car as efficiently as we packed it.  It's not too hard -- the dorm room is on the bottom floor.  I don't even break a sweat despite humidity levels of about 95%.  The car is empty by 8:49, and I move it to the nearby field house parking lot for an easy escape when the time comes.  Son's roommate arrives, so we help him unload, too.  Then son's girlfriend arrives.  After quick introductions with her parents, we unload their car, too, into a nearby brick building.  The trek is a little more strenuous, up to the third floor which is really like climbing four full sets of stairs while carrying gear.  Sweat breaks out in places I didn't even know sweated, but we get her moved in within the fifteen minute time allotment.

I extricate myself reasonably early and start driving south.  As soon as I hit the highway, the rain begins again.  And again.  And again after that.  Three separate waves of rain with the occasional break of dry-as-a-bone asphalt. I can actually see where one storm stops behind me and another begins in front of me while cruising through a pocket of vacuous air space. 

I decide to hit a few stores on the way home for things that I need.  As I am walking through the parking lot to store #1, it starts to sprinkle.  By the time I exit store #1, I just make it to the car when it starts to pelt water all over again. 

My next stop is the mall.  I have some serious shopping and some window shopping to do, so I decide to hit the top floor first and then hit the bottom floor.  This is a great plan until I get to the middle.  The store I need in the middle of the mall requires me to go back upstairs.  No problem.  There are escalators inside.  I need some work clothes, which I have been putting off all summer, and, since school starts tomorrow, I should probably see what I can find.

What I find to try on are about twenty shirts, a skirt, and two dresses.  Now here's where I really hate myself and the entire garment industry because shopping for clothes surely must be some kind of subversive torture perpetrated against women.  Every store sizes their clothing differently, and sometimes even the same garment in a different color is not necessarily a slam-dunk in the same size. 

While in the dressing room, I hear a roar that sounds an awful lot like a tornado or a freight train or maybe just the end of the world.  This thought does not please me as I wonder if the clothing I spent thirty minutes picking out is going to be sucked out of a hole when the ceiling opens up.  I also have the thought that I am half naked, and to make matters worse should the roof actually collapse on me, I am wearing a frumpy, old, graying Bali bra.

Goddamnit!  It's the end of the world as we know it, and I'm not even wearing my best undies.  I hate when my mother is right.  So when the rescuers arrive, as surely they will by the sound of it, I will not only be mostly unclothed, I'll be wearing crappy undergarments. 

Pissah.  With my luck my damn picture will make the news.

After about six minutes of absolute ear-boggling noise, the rain abates, and I am able to dump most of what I brought in with me and retreat to the register with four shirts and a dress.  Some of the shirts I try on are rayon (no freaking way - that stuff shrinks like crazy), some have humungous armholes (so even the students can see my bogus Bali bra, apparently), the skirt has a weird slit in it that was sewn shut at the bottom, giving it and me a bulbous appearance, and no matter how valiantly I fight one of the dresses, the zipper isn't long enough and the belt is attached to the fabric so even one of my thighs can't slip in.

On the way home I plan to visit a friend.  I take out my phone, dial her number, and start walking to my car, which I parked way, way, waaaaay out yonder so I can walk more for exercise. 

What happens as soon as I hear the phone ring on her end?  It starts to rain, big fat droopy globs of rainwater, all over me and my phone and my bag of new clothes, as if the rain is daring me to get into my car.  The moment I close the door, all hell breaks loose and the rain is coming so fast that I am relieved I parked on higher ground.

In the scheme of things, it is a good day.  I manage to be in my car (or a dressing room) during the worst of the weather and out of my car in between the many fronts that move through.  I'm doing some cleaning and To-Do List stuff before school starts tomorrow.  School starts … hey, school starts tomorrow.  Have I finished getting organized?  No.  Do I have a plan for the week?  No.  Am I remotely ready?

Well, I did buy some new shirts and a brand new dress, and I did manage to restore the empty nest.

I guess that means I'm ready.