Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SADISTIC EPI-PEN TRAINING



Epi-Pen Training is one of my favorite days of the year.  It's always the first faculty meeting of the fall, usually mid-September.  Our school nurse gives us a lecture about the dangers of allergens, and we sign off on the paperwork confirming that we understand the appropriate steps to take in case of an emergency.

Then she hands us all pretend-Epi-Pens, and the fun begins.

We practice on ourselves, and we practice on each other.  Once we have perfected our snap-bash-and-hold techniques, we get to stand in line and stab a facilitator.  Our targets:  the nurse, the principal, and the vice principal.

I don't want to stab the nurse, even if it's just a fake stab.  I like her a lot, and she's just an itty-bit of a thing, a wisp of a woman, who probably bears the bruises of this meeting for weeks to come.

I don't want to stab the principal because she has enough evidence already to see me strung up on Plato's cave wall with no hope of escape.  Better to maintain tenuous complacency.

Instead I line up to stab the vice principal.  He was one of my closest colleagues before he turned evil and joined the administration.  As a matter of fact, I used to cover for him when he'd slip out the computer room back door, run to Dunkins, and quietly slip back in again, all done without permission or proper procedure.  I don't know why, but for some reason the thought of stabbing him (albeit with a fake Epi-Pen) seems ridiculously appealing at the moment.

I am fourth in line, and the wimps in front of me, men and women alike, hesitate to attack with the force necessary to trip the injection delivery system.  They have to keep trying, afraid of either hurting the man or perhaps of getting a surprise addition to their dossier.

I have no such fears.  I know my file is a shit-show.  There is no mercy to be delivered here on my part.

I edge up the line until I am face to face with the VP.  Well, to be fair, I am face to about lower rib cage.  He is a tall and foreboding administrator, and I am but a lowly, shrunken, waif of a teacher.  I carefully uncap my practice pen, arc my arm out with extreme force, and bring the Epi-Pen to the vice principal's outer thigh with the velocity and ferocity of a madwoman.

The practice pen explodes with a loud and resounding click, and I grind the spring-loaded end of it into his leg while sweetly smiling and chirping, "I'm supposed to count to ten, right?"  I whistle a little bit, a melodious tune, while averting my eyes lest he catch even a hint of the devious enjoyment I am getting out of this.  After all the times administration (this one and the ones before it) has shit all over me and my teammates, I really am getting a satisfying sense of payback knowing I will be largely responsible for the bruise an administrator will sport for the next few days.  I reset the pen and hand it off down the line of colleagues for subsequent practitioners to take their best shots. 

It may not be as exciting as the training session when one of the social studies teachers accidentally grabbed a live Epi-Pen during the self-practice round and shot herself full of Epinephrine, but I personally believe it's damn close.

(Disclaimer: In all fairness, I really hold no personal animosity toward my vice principal.  In truth, his Epi-Pen training line was the shortest.  But he really did used to sneak to Dunkins, and I really do have a personnel file that could apply for its own zip code.)

(Disclaimer to the Disclaimer:  Never mind the disclaimer.  It's all true, damnit.)