Tuesday, September 10, 2013

MINI-ME STRIKES AGAIN



I have a Mini-Me at work.  She is my teammate, and we have gotten along from day one.  She's a lot like me but with super powers.  I used to do judo; she plays rugby.  I'd come to work with bruises and broken bones; she comes to work with contusions and concussions.  She drives like me, she drinks like me, she swears like me, she laughs like me, and she's short just like me, too.  Mini-Me, but the younger, stronger version.

This past weekend I attended a wedding.  Well, not just any wedding.  My son and his long-time girlfriend got married in a beautiful ceremony at a fabulous location along the ocean on an absolutely picture-perfect day.  During the dancing, I managed to get stepped on not once but twice by guys in big black shoes that are part of the tuxedo rental package.  It hurt at the time, but I really didn't give it a second thought until I got home and took off my strappy heels.

There on the top of my left foot was a good sized bruise, all red and blue and purple.  I was so proud of the bruise that I took a picture of it.  I couldn't wait to get back to work on Monday and show Mini-Me what I'd done. 

Before I could send the picture to my teammate, I received a picture text from her.  It seems she was playing rugby and was hit by one of her own players, a good clunk to the right forehead region that swelled up almost immediately.  Within hours her right eye began to shut, and by dinner time she had a black eye that rivaled Tony Conigliaro's 1967 near-deadly shiner.

See, that's the problem with Mini-Me's: They're always one-upping a person.  All right then, but did she break her foot in three places during randori, pop her own toe back into place, duct tape her foot together, and go out and finish the class?  No? I rest my case.

(P.S.  Take it easy, Mini-Me.  I'd be lost at work without ya.)