Saturday, September 28, 2013

BUT I DON'T GET IT

I am reading a book for my grad class.  The subject matter is literary theory and teaching literature, which is where most folks would either fall unconscious or start projectile vomiting.  I don't necessarily buy into the whole theory aspect, but I'm kind of fascinated with the idea that people can read anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, they want to into a piece of literature, even if it takes some bending, squeezing, and restructuring.

I have to have several things read for an upcoming class, one of them a smaller text with larger font.  That's good for me and my eyes.  I start reading the book, assuming it's another book on theory or a practical handbook on teaching lit.

The first chapter goes on and on about people watching the news and how some strange incident happened years ago and it's on every channel.  At the end of several pages, I have no idea what the point is supposed to be.  Chapter two is exactly the same shit about how it's lighter out longer and how the day has gained 56 minutes and how the news is still everywhere.  I still don't get it and start writing swears all over the margins.

Honestly, when is the teacher who wrote this going to make a point and tell me what great literary theory she discovered that could change a whole universe?!

Finally after the third chapter I decide to flip the book over and read the back of it.

This isn't a theory text book.  It's a sci-fi/fantasy book about Earth getting knocked out of orbit.  The only reason I can think we might be reading it is because we're going to perform literary theory all over this book's ass.

Not a fan of sci-fi novels and I despise fantasy writing.  I continue to write swears and other dead-pan commentary in the margins.  Gotta choke through it in the next ten days.  Normally a book this size would take me a day, maybe two, to read.  But this convoluted plot line is going to be a buggah.  I have an incredible imagination, but when it comes to reading, my thinking is much too concrete for my own good.

I'll be a good little do-bee and get it done, even if it kills me.  Don't worry about finding clues near my body; just look for the footnotes I've written into the text describing the various ways I might commit Hari Kari before the book itself does.

Hey, in "theory" it's my own damn fault for not reading the blurb on the back first.