Saturday, March 16, 2013

VIVAN LOS DEPORTES



I like watching the news.  I like changing the channels and watching as many different news broadcasts as I can in the morning before I go to work.  Sometimes it's actually because I want to find out what's going on in the world; sometimes it's to see what awkward outfits the stations dress their anchors and reporters in, like matching colors or holiday-themed ties.

Occasionally I'll watch the local Spanish station's news.  This morning I stopped on the Spanish station because the weather was on, and I'll watch weather on any station from any location because there's something seriously wrong with me.  I accepted this fact long ago when the difference between Basic Cable TV and Extended-Basic Cable TV meant I could access the Weather Channel 24/7.  With whatever great package deal I have now, I can even access Weatherscan, which is the 24-hour live Doppler radar.  (I get goosebumps just typing that.)

But I digress.  (Act surprised.)

I was watching the weather on the Spanish station, clicker in hand and index finger on the mark, when I noticed deportes coming on.  Well, I also like sports, and since the Bruins won last night, I figured maybe I'd see what they had to say about the game, all 50% of what I can understand. 

I expected the same crap I see on all the local Boston and regional New England stations -- professional mainstream American sports followed by car racing or squirrels wake-boarding.  Instead, I got the true Hispanic-American deportes … and it was awesome.

Spanish news opened up with its number-one professional sport:  SOCCER (futbol).  I didn't have the volume up very loud, and that, coupled with my rusty translation skills left me to wonder if I were watching South American highlights or European highlights or some hybrid of both.  It didn't really matter, though, because I like soccer (except for the limited scoring part).

Next up would be the second most popular and important sport, right?  Right, of course.  And that would be:  BOXING.  Didn't know who was in the ring; didn't care.  The highlights of any boxing match are the intermittent moments of glory, the culmination of dancing and sparring gone rogue.  I love that shit!

Finally, coming in third on the Spanish sports report was the NBA.  You heard me.  Third.  Soccer and boxing are the lead stories, and that is why next week when the weekdays are earlier and earlier, as they tend to get four weeks before the hard-earned April break, I will automatically add the Spanish station into my morning TV mix.

Excellente.  Vivan los deportes!