Sunday, March 10, 2013

INTERNET DIAGNOSIS



I read on the Internet about emotions having effects on the human body.  For instance, anger weakens the liver; grief takes a toll on the lungs; worry affects the stomach; stress attacks the heart and brain; fear weakens the kidneys.

I can actually see how some of these work.  Take worry: of course it affects the stomach.  In addition to nausea and general sick stomach, you can also get yourself so worked up that you either puke or cannot eat at all.  Worry can also cause major agida and intestinal disruptions and can totally make you become an Immodium addict.  This one is almost a slam-dunk.

Stress attacks the heart and brain.  Sure, we know all about how stress weakens the heart through things like elevated blood pressure and palpitations.  Hell, stress will give you a heart attack.  This one isn't even rocket science.  The brain comes in when blood flow is restricted from stress levels being elevated, right?  Maybe stress can cause blood vessels to rupture; bingo, stroke.  This connection makes perfect medical sense.

Fear is the easy one.  There's an expression. "To scare the piss out of" someone.  This expression must've come from somewhere.  Of course, there are also the expressions "to be scared shitless" and "have the shit scared out of" oneself.  So apparently fear can also weaken the colon, large intestine, and small intestine.  It's okay, though, because they're all in the same general area.

I don't quite get the anger and grief ones, though.  I mean, maybe if someone is angry enough they will drink themselves into oblivion, hence weakening the liver.  I don't know.  Maybe there's something that happens when we're so angry that we blow out our livers.  That doesn't sound right nor even feasible, but there may well be a connection only doctors and Bill Nye know about.  And what's this with grief?  Is it because we either hyperventilate from crying or breathe slower due to depression?  I don't know.  I know I've had pneumonia a few times, and I do not feel exceptionally morose.  Maybe I am morose and just don't know it.  Good grief.  Now I can't breathe.

Here's one thing I DO know.  Humor irritates the bladder.

That's right, listen up, you scientists out there.  The bladder.  You start laughing, you just might pee your pants.  Humor also affects the lungs because you'll laugh so hard you can't breathe.  Humor must also enhance the brain because people who laugh have all kinds of things flooding through their brains -- laughter stimulates hormones that control mood, stress, and blood pressure.  This means humor can override stress that weakens the heart.  Anticipation of laughter itself reduces stress, even if the laugh never actually comes. 

Of course, if you paid big money for a show or movie and expect to laugh and be entertained, and you're not, then that could have the opposite effect.  I suppose that means we should laugh as much as we can, and we should even be thinking about and planning on laughing.  Ed Wynn sang about it in Mary Poppins, and it took them three days to get his character off the ceiling he laughed so hard.  Humor is uplifting, and it's addictive.  Even worse, it's contagious.  Well, not the peeing your pants part; that's not contagious, but you certainly wouldn't want to be sharing a bench with someone when humor decides to decimate his or her bladder, I can promise you that.

I'm not doctor and I'm no scientist and I'm certainly no guru, but I did read this on the Internet, so it must be true.  There, now.  I'll bet your bladder feels weaker already.  You're welcome.