Friday, March 8, 2013

BLEND IT LIKE BECKHAM



Holy shit, I just gave myself a heart attack.

I am reaching for a plate on the counter, and I almost knock the glass part of the blender to the floor.

That's right; the blender almost goes down.  It teeters and totters for a few perilous seconds until I am able to grab it with a strategic save.  As I watch it waver four feet above the tile floor, I know that if it should continue to fall, it will smash.  I know this because I recently lost a plate to this same ceramic floor.  Okay, I actually lost most of it to an open cabinet, the edge of which caught the plate as I tried to put it away from the dishwasher.  The plate broke into pieces, part of it remaining in my hand, part of it splintering when it hit the counter, and the rest shattering all over the tile around my bare feet.  Because of this recent disaster, I know as soon as I see the blender faltering that its demise is imminent.

I am quite attached to my blender.  It makes lumpy but drinkable frozen concoctions, lumpy because the ice chopper function doesn't really work, so I pre-crack the ice.  The end results are often mostly-smooth with occasional misshapen chunks of ice bobbing around.  My blender produces outstanding Margaritas, Mudslides, and more.  My blender is like the lifeline that greets me on those few really bad work days when a beer by 3:15 is just an appetizer.

The most use the blender gets, though, is making shakes.  I need to learn to expand my repertoire to include more fruit, but I mainly use it to make vanilla shakes.  Special ones.  Ones with low-fat milk, Carnation Instant Breakfast powder, a little vanilla, a scant teaspoon of sugar, and a huge honking slab of light ice cream.  Now, that's the true breakfast of champions.  Nobody in her right mind would deny herself ice cream for breakfast. 

As my eyes follow the leaning blender, I immediately start sweating and my heart rate jumps.  That blender and I often begin and end days together.  When my youngest is home from college, shakes are a morning staple.  It's the same recipe I throw together for him that I've found starts my own day most mornings.  I take all these vitamins; I've been told (by no one with any kind of authority nor degree to confirm this information) that I shouldn't take the stuff, especially the iron, on an empty stomach.  So, you see, I simply must have a shake to start the day.  When I arrive home much later, sometimes my work days scream for frozen beverages the way migraines scream for darkness.

My blender is my lifeline; I almost knock my lifeline to its death.  Holy shit.  Bring on the heart attack … and the frozen daiquiri; I'm going to need one after that scare.