Saturday, March 23, 2013

BEEP BEEP



Sometimes progress is a pain in my ass.

Thanks to another epic snowfall, state testing is an epic fail.  Tuesday's required long composition tests for all students in grades four, seven, and ten, fall victim to a Nor'easter.   It is the only mandated date that cannot be changed without a directive from the education commissioner.  The same scenario played out years ago, leaving many school systems that had delayed or cancelled openings shit out of luck, forcing students to take the make-up test or take zeroes.

That section of the test is now re-scheduled for Monday.  We, however, have the reading comprehension portion to complete, a two-day test of reading and writing that involves both multiple choice and short answers.  Short answers, or open responses, are supposed to be a paragraph each, possibly five to ten sentences.  The kids we have this year are writers; not always good ones, but, god love 'em, writers, just the same.  My team drags on and on as students attempt to squeeze full-length essays into the tiny one-paragraph spaces in their answer booklets.

But that's not the truly amazing part.

The truly amazing part is the on-going construction right outside my window.  In addition to boulders being dragged around and machines that go BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP all bloody day long, there are also men leaning up against the screens in the class windows, heavy machinery driving back and forth making some kind of road right along the brick outer wall of my room, and the port-a-potty is close enough for me to hand the guys toilet paper when they need it. 

I have been assured that construction will cease for the mornings of testing.  Turns out this is a fallacy; you know, like the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and a raise in my paycheck.  The noise has become such a part of our daily lives that I don't really want to call attention to it lest the children become as fixated on the distraction as I have.  I can even put up with the peep shows that will be provided without a cover charge via those exiting the portapotty.

What I absolutely cannot tolerate is the conversation happening right outside my window.  I let it go on for about five or six minutes, and then I sneak over.  By "sneak," I mean "easily approach" under cover since the windows are made of plexi-glass from the 1970's and are completely opaque.  I snap open the window, which casuses the men to jump then stand completely still like deer in the headlights:  What was that? … I don't know.  Go check it out.  No, YOU go check it out.  I'll follow ya…  As soon as the window is open, I say through tightly clenched teeth, "Gentlemen, you'll have to MOVE because we are TESTING IN HEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!"

Someone must've pre-warned them about me because these poor fellows jump nearly fifteen feet at the sound of my voice and immediately move away, babbling incoherent excuses that leave a trail behind them that's about as welcome as a fart in church.

The second day of testing the noise is a little better until I write a note to stick to the top of the MCAS box stating that the noise is better.  Suddenly the same three brave but clueless workers begin congregating outside of my window.  At 9:30.  In the morning.  On a school day.  During testing. 

They seem to be trainable, however, because as I approach the window, there are either sensors, they can feel my presence, or my figure casts a shadow along the whited-out panes.  The moment I get within striking distance, the workers scatter as if someone across the site yelled "FREE COFFEE!!!"

That's not the truly funny part.  The truly funny part is that the make-up for the long comp that got snowed out is randomly scheduled for Monday.

And on Monday, it's supposed to snow.

Touche, Mother Nature, touché.  BEEP BEEP!