Tuesday, March 12, 2013

LIGHTER LATER



What an amazing feeling.  It was still light out when I left work after a meeting.  It stayed light while I was shopping in the store.  It even remained light while I stood in the parking lot yapping with a pal before heading home.  Couldn't even believe it stayed light while I unloaded groceries and work paraphernalia from my car.  Amazing.

According to a coworker, The Farmer's Almanac is predicting one more major snowstorm for March.  I'm thinking three more moderate storms right through April.  It just seems like that kind of a pattern.  Either way, we are definitely closer to spring than we were a few weeks ago, and that makes me happy.  I just hope it doesn't seem like I'm wishing time away.  It's just that I really do prefer summer, for the most part, and I'm starting to wonder why I continue to put up with the snow.

I used to put up with the snow because I liked it when I was a kid.  I skied, I skated, I sledded.  One of my favorite activities used to be chopping the driveway ice with the big metal chopper, breaking off huge chunks and heaving them into the woods like enormous glass shot puts.  The only time I didn't like the sound of cracking ice was when I was skating on it.  It was exceptionally unnerving when the pond would suddenly shift and crack while we were hundreds of yards from shore.  It didn't help knowing that some of the places we skated were fed by warm streams that wove through decomposing marshes and swamps.  I often got visions of Damien: Omen II, the clip where the pond hockey game went horribly wrong, a movie scene that still scares the crap out of me to this day.

I don't care so much for the snow anymore.  Oh, it's beautiful when it falls and exquisite when it adheres to the trees and stone walls.  But beauty, as they say, is only skin deep.  I'm a beach girl at heart.  I long for those beach days.  I'm looking forward to the late afternoons with my toes in the sand or bringing home beach rocks to build a friend's garden border.  Sangria and sunburns and sea breezes.  Sharks and jelly fish and screaming children and annoying radios.  Greenhead flies and mosquitoes and wasps.  Ice cream and seafood on restaurant decks and long walks outside.  Fresh fruit and corn on the cob. 

I'll take it all.

I have to live through the waning days of winter and the waxing weeks of spring, first.  Now that it stays lighter later, I feel like I can do it.  I'm going to make it.  I can feel it; I can smell it; I can sense it.

Summer's coming.  Not today, unfortunately, but it'll be here.  I'm ready.  Except for the bathing suit top.  Really need a new one.  And more sandals.  Maybe some shorts.  A new beach chair.  Mini paper umbrellas for blender drinks.

Other than that, I swear to you, I'm ready.