Sunday, March 24, 2013

ONE VERY PISSED OFF, PSYCHOTIC LAMB



Ahhhh, March.  That psycho month where Spring arrives and Winter refuses to exit.

When I was a kid, I hated March.  First of all, there are no school holidays in March.  It's a long month of endless blah.  Second, It comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb … a very, very pissed off, psychotic lamb.  Third, it's cold and blustery and raw.  Oh, sure, the sun is stronger, so if you're sitting in your car with the rays beaming down it's almost warm inside your vehicle.  Almost.  But step outside, and you might as well be in the Arctic Circle in the dead of Northern Hemisphere's winter.

Years of spring sports have convinced me that March is not the pleasant end-of-winter experience it is romanticized to be.  It's the month of multiple layers, heavy jackets, extra socks, multi-purpose gloves, car blankets, and stick-on foot/hand warmers.  It is also one of several months of snow storms, both Nor'easters and Alberta Clippers.  Just today on the way to an outdoor lacrosse game, it started flurrying during warm-ups.  How ironic is that?  And how ironic that they're called "warm-ups" when there's nothing warm about the early schedule of college spring sports, which start in February and are just … warming up … in March.

When I was a kid, I hated March because I considered it the coldest month of the year. 

Now that I'm an adult, I don't mind it so much.  Quite frankly, it's a surprise not to wake up dead some mornings, and that certainly would put a damper on things, not to mention that would be the ultimate chill.

March may drone on, be cold, and lean toward psychosis … but so do I.  Despite all its faults, living through March is certainly better than the alternative.