Tuesday, March 26, 2013

TEACHABLE MOMENTS AND PORT-A-POTTIES



Today is the last day of the state English test for my students.  It was supposed to end Friday, but we had that nasty snow storm on Tuesday that threw a frozen monkey wrench into everything.  The long composition happens today, and we are ready. 

The first thing my class does is supply themselves with pencils.  I am amazed at how the kids can chew through pencils on this test.  Of course, it doesn't help that I have a graphite-eating, old-style, hand-crank sharpener bolted to the wall.  I have one student who writes pages and pages of a first draft and then a final draft, and she never once sharpens her pencil.  When she turns it in to me along with her test materials, the pencil's graphite tip is flat across, flush with the wood encasing it.  Another girl turns in a pencil so small I can't believe she could hold it in her hand to write.  It's not like I didn't grab a dozen extra pencils for her and her classmates to use.  Perhaps she wants to finish the test using the same pencil with which she started.  That's perseverance.

The composition writing prompt is reasonably straightforward, something about character traits and picking one from the list that relates to them.  I don't know for sure; technically I'm not supposed to read the question, so I don't.  Actually, I don't really care what the question is because the kids are ready for anything the state throws at them, and I trust them to do what needs to be done.  I have been telling them all year to trust me; it's my turn to return the favor.  However, I cannot help but wonder how many of them are writing about feeling proud, which is the writing prompt we used as a common assessment just two weeks ago, the same prompt that we stole off the 2011 test.  (They really should recycle these topics a little more thoroughly.)

The students work away and work away.  Technically, the state believes this is a ninety minute test: forty-five minutes to write a first draft, and forty-five minutes to write a final draft.  The problem is kids this age rarely do what is expected of them, and the first session drags on for one hundred and thirty-five minutes.  By the time the kids get a break, they are mostly toast from waiting for the stragglers to catch up.  I pre-warned them that this endless waiting would be the hardest part.  I can see it in their faces as they look at me with sad eyes.  "Oh, man, the teacher was riiiiiiiiiiight."  The only thing that sucks worse than this realization is the one when you suddenly figure out in your twenties that your parents really were right all along.  Sucks, sucks, sucks.  I understand the class's collective sense that this, too, sucks.  Big time.

After a fifteen minute break, in which we guzzle miniature bottles of water and chow down Nutri-Grain fruit bars (which are only fruit in the processed food kind of way and taste remarkably like sawdust and tree moss, but we are all so damn hungry that we would eat dirt off the floor at this point), the kids are back to work.  They are only writing for ten minutes when the construction machinery that has been operating outside gets too close to the building.  Mike Mulligan and Mary Anne are moving the giamundo boulders outside of my room.  Email #4 of the testing cycle: Please ask the construction workers to stop moving the boulders outside my window at least until we've got the writing mojo back.

Once again my email bites me in the ass.  I figure I'm safe from more machinery running directly against the outer wall to my room because outside of my window is a pile of rebar.  Wrong, again.  Turns out the workers really can squeeze by the mess to stand up against my window and press against the screen and talk … and talk … and talk. 

            As I begin typing Perturbed Email #5, they move away from the building again, perhaps being reminded by the administration not to piss me off unless they have a basket full of chocolate to offer me in exchange.  For the next hour, the workers are simply running a truck out at the other end of the acres-large dig site.  I abandon my email and sit back at my desk to relax, do some more filing, and think mostly happy, nonjudgmental, bipartisan thoughts.

            But then it happens.  With thirty minutes left until we have to go to lunch (we put lunch off until the last possible slot plus an extra ten minutes, so if we don't go to the café by 12:20, there will be no lunch), the workers assume we certainly must be done.  The problem is, we're not.  Not completely, anyway.  I still have four kids writing when it starts up.  It is right outside my window.  It is no longer near the boulder; it is the boulder.  At 11:50 a.m., the earsplitting sound emits from Mike Mulligan's modernized version of his steam shovel with a loud clanging.

CHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKA…

            The crew is breaking up the giant boulder that separates me from the port-a-potty.  Unable to contain themselves for one more second, the nineteen students who have finished the test and handed in their materials all rush to the windows in unison.  They don't speak because they know they cannot make a sound, and they silently find perches from where they can watch this fascinating rock breaking occur.

CHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKA…

            I can tell when the worst of it is over.  First of all, the deafening noise recedes momentarily while Mary Anne shifts her giant tracks to the next enormous rock.  Secondly, the students start shuffling back to their desks.  Lastly, I look out for myself and see a huge pile of rock chunks. 

            And the port-a-potty.

            The day we've been waiting for has finally arrived.  We now can easily and straight-on see the workers going into and coming out of the rectangular waterless toilet facility.  We can smell it, too.  Yahoo.

            My stragglers finish their tests, turn them in, and I email the office again, this time to let them know my room is all done.  Good thing, too, with seven minutes to spare until lunch.  The vice principal comes along to collect the box of secured testing materials, and he is barely audible over the noise Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel are making.  I tell him he should've heard it while they were actually busting rocks just a few minutes prior.  Yes, sir, these are the conditions under which my students test and quiz and talk and work and listen. 

            "But that's not the worst of it," I say.  Together the VP and I walk over to the windows and I point to the port-a-potty, now a mere twenty feet from where we are standing, separated only by concrete and a cheap piece of clouded plexiglass.  "That," I implore, "must find a new home."

            Boulders and outhouses and teeny water bottles and pencils and snow and late lunch and Mike Mulligan and Mary Anne the "steam" shovel will not deter us today, though.  Our state testing for English is done, and I don't know or care what the kids' scores are, they kicked it and they did it for themselves; not for me, not for the team, not for the school, not for the district, not for their parents.  Totally and completely, they kicked that test's ass.