Monday, March 11, 2013

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE



Okay, I tried.  I really and truly tried.  It's just not in my destiny to be tactful.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a huge diatribe on the grad school blog.  I basically insulted the professor and her mentor all with one huge swipe of the computer keys.  I tried to stop myself, I really did.  Oh, who the hell am I shitting.  Of course I didn't try to stop myself.  I hit post so damn fast that I injured my index finger.

Now it's research paper writing time.  I intend to write a smarmy little paper about voice and how to use it in writing and how to grade it across the curriculum.  A standard, uninspiring, methodical little piece of pabulum with footnotes and a bibliography.  Yup.  That's my intention, or it was when I sat down this morning at the computer.  Seriously, I mean no malcontent.

Voice, you idiot, stick with voice; a nice, safe, researchable topic.  Voice.  Listen to this voice inside your head telling you to just write the damn paper already.  Safe.  Topic.  Vooooooice.

Somehow, though, by the second paragraph, I am running at the mouth again, fingers madly typing away, all attempts at staying on topic a miserable failure, a complete and total crash and burn.  I am back on my soapbox, and I am eviscerating the very subject matter I am studying in the course.  I am taking the professor's pride and joy, her lifeblood, her entire philosophy, adding some sulfuric acid, and watching the smoke rise. 

Dumbass.  You stupid fool!  You're going to fail.  You're going to offend her and you're going to end up getting booted out of the program.  Stop what you're doing!  Get back on topic!  Voice, damnit! 

I like the writing process - it's linear and has steps and makes sense to even the most uninitiated writer amongst us.  On the other hand, I despise Process Writing, its ugly precursor, the mother that birthed the defective triplets Whole Language, Self-Expressive Writing, and Creative Spelling; Process Writing, the Grammar Grendel of its time.  I guess that makes me a bit like Beowulf coming to Grammar's rescue.  Okay, maybe not.  But I can pretend.  It's my research paper.

I found out recently that the professor's mentor, a writing theorist by the name of Peter Elbow (The Man With Two Body Parts For a Name), actively engaged in 1960's-1970's civil disobedience that resulted in a whole lot of entitled college students escaping from selective service in Vietnam and a whole bunch of other young men having to take their places.  Lest you think I supported the Vietnam Conflict, you would be wrong.  As a matter of fact, even at a young, impressionable age, I was a conscientious objector to war on principle.  The more I learned about Vietnam as I matured, the more I hated that we ever went there.  Maybe it was because my neighbors had dreaded draft cards, and I remember their brothers and sisters and parents speaking in hushed, anxious, worried tones while they waited for the draft numbers to come up. 

Two weeks ago I stumbled across the information that this writing teacher, Peter Elbow, a theorist I had studied for decades, conducted college seminars on how to craft a bullshit conscientious objector essay.  The purpose of these essays was not because anyone objected, but rather to keep certain kids (Ivy Leaguers, mostly) from serving while forcing others (blue collar young men) to take their places.  For some reason, I did and still do find this elitist scam to be reprehensible.  I didn't want anyone to go over there, but to actively use one's position as a trusted adult, teacher, and advisor by spreading one's own political agenda to the select population who could afford to pay for it -- That all just sits wrong with me.  Totally and completely wrong.

I recall this disgust all over again as my research paper starts rolling.  Without any warning whatsoever, I am suddenly researching and quoting the Constitution, former presidents, and any article I can find that demonizes both the nationalization of our public school curriculum and process writing itself.  The professor, clearly a liberal Democrat as most academics claim to be, is going to shit herself when she reads my Constitutionalist rant.  I will probably be labeled a Libertarian or worse.  I suppose when one fence-sits as an unenrolled moderate, this is bound to happen once in a while, usually when the liberal agenda affects how I teach, invades my classroom, and controls my curriculum.

I'm pissed off, I'm editorializing, and I'm letting the shit fly.  The one thing I cannot seem to do is stop myself.  It's like I've been angry about this since the 1970's, and I'm just figuring it out now.  I'm angry at every whole language teacher, I'm angry at every weak school system that fell for the latest flash-in-the-pan writing system, and I am, apparently still really ticked off about the Vietnam Conflict.

Here's your voice, research paper.  It's my angry voice.  It's my disgusted voice.  It's my "too old to be writing research papers about stuff from the 1970's" voice, and I'm sorry.  I tried.  I really and truly tried to keep it bottled up, but it just wouldn't stay.  Holding back my opinion is like trying to stem the tides at Plum Island during a brutal Nor'Easter:  You'd be smarter boarding up your house and getting the fuck out of the way.

Voice?  Hello?  Is anyone listening?  Oh, damnit, she's off on another diatribe.  God help us, she's a lovely girl, but she's going to fail this class.  Oh well.  We tried to warn her.  Damn Heliand.  She never listens, but she's always got something to say.  That's voice in a nutshell.  A+!