Saturday, August 18, 2018

STILL TACKLING THE MESS

Two more days into the mess-tackling, and I must be up to day number twenty or so of this process.  I started in July, ignorantly believing this would be a few days of work.  Instead, here I am in August, still putting hours every week into the process.

I'm not losing any sleep over this (nor much fun time), but I have sacrificed several days, a few evenings, some very late nights/early mornings, and a few sunny days to work through this.  The main reason why it is taking so long is because I am determined to sort and file EVERYTHING into its proper place, even if that means moving that proper place around a dozen times.

These two days involve my craft stash and the games.  The craft stash includes all of my sewing stuff, knitting stuff (and crochet hooks from when I remembered how to do that, and hooks for rug-making from another lifetime), needlepoint stuff (I used to cross stitch?  really?  I had totally forgotten until I find some of my final projects), paints, clay, fabric dye, floral supplies, and lots and lots and lots of glitter.  There are pompoms and feathers and pipe cleaners.  My craft stash looks like some craft store's back room.  Add to it my daughter's bead stash from her teenage years, and I'm sorting, repacking, and purging endlessly.  The beads alone take three hours, but it gets done and it gets organized.

Also, the craft stuff includes holiday items, like gift bags and tissue paper and ribbons and bows and roll after roll of wrapping paper.  Yes, that crap has to get organized, as well.  It's not enough to find it all a new hiding spots; I need to weed out crappier crap from my horde of not-so-crappy crap.  Then, the crappy-crap has to go into the Ultimate Crap Pile while the mere crap has to be found homes within my home.

When that is all done, I decide that my pajamas should be next.  Amazing.  I have completely forgotten about one drawer and come across t-shirts.  Yes, I am guilty -- guilty of having enough t-shirts to open an Army-Navy store ... except most of my military tees are Marines, so I guess Army-Navy wouldn't work.  Most of these t-shirts are leftovers from my kids' sports days -- clothing I pilfered from their "toss away" piles years ago.  Three more bags go out to the car for donation.

Then I attack the games.  I have a lot of games.  We are a game-oriented family and always have been.  Cards, board games, electronic games, puzzles, trivia games, and enough Lego to open my own version of Lego Land.  We also have a poker chip set that could probably support tournament play.  I throw away games that are incomplete or broken, and I break down the wasteful boxes of other games.  I am determined to make my life simpler and more compact, so any game box that isn't packed to its capacity becomes a game in a bag while its cardboard container gets recycled.

Finally, I am done ... for today.  NOT "done" done; I'm at a stopping point for now. 

I am quite certain that you wonderful readers are as sick of hearing about my purging and reorganizing as I am doing this.  However, you really are my best motivators.  If I am honest with my audience, I'll have no choice but to see it through.  Besides, I don't want any of you watching me on television as the star of "Hoarders."  Bear with me a little longer -- We really are making significant progress, team.  Don't abandon me now -- plus, I'm sure I can probably throw in a (used) random sports shirt for your efforts.