Tuesday, August 7, 2018

LIFE CHANGE - DAY #2

My friend decides to change my life.  Yes, indeed, twice in one day she changes my life.  Today, Life Change #2: My friend takes me to Duluth Trading Company.

DTC is an online giant, but it only has forty stores nationwide, most of which are in the northern Midwest area.  I've seen their ads in magazines and online: They are home of the No-Yank Tank, a fashion tank-top that my friend insists will change my life.  DTC, she tells me, will change my life. 

As soon as we enter the store, I am convinced she is telling me the truth.

The first thing I notice is the smell of leather and outdoors.  When I was a kid, we had a store near us, Hayward's Trading Post (which I believe is still open), that sold all kinds of stuff from toys to clothing to shoes to tourist crap.  The incredible smell of that store was always one of my favorites, and the moment the scents hit your nose walking over the threshold, you were immersed in another world.  It is the same smell, the same aroma, that envelops me when I walk into Duluth Trading Company.

The second thing I notice are the fabrics of the clothing.  This isn't cheap spandex-based crap; the fabric is sturdy, strong, and colorful.  I'm fascinated. Even the dresses they have here are stylish, practical, and made of smart fabrics.  My friend steers me toward the No-Yank Tanks, and she picks out two to buy for me.  I nod my head, a little overwhelmed by the store.  It's like L. L. Bean for cowboys and farmers and people who really get their hands dirty every day, not just make-believe sweaty on weekends when the neighbors are looking.

As we are at the check-out, I see a sign hanging in the back of the store that indicates there's a display of old and antique tools.  I make a beeline to the back of the store and discover an absolute gold mine.  The store has a museum of artifacts and appliances and tools in the back.  It is incredibly cool.

Once home I look up info on the stores and discover that each store is a little different.  The website states: "Every store features a fascinating theme, displays, photos and found objects that honor hardworking men and women past and present. It’s not just a store, it’s an experience." 

Truly, it is an experience.

I haven't had a chance to wear the No-Yank Tank tops yet (at the time of this writing, anyway), but I fully expect the clothing, like the store, to absolutely change my life.  If it works, I'm going back to buy the underwear.