Sunday, August 12, 2018

AN EXHAUSTIVE JAM

I have officially exhausted myself.

Too much sorting and filing and purging and closet-cleaning and furniture-rearranging and bad sleeping and eating too much take-out food has finally caught up to me.  Last night and again this morning I am damned with a stomach ache and nausea.

Bah.  Humbug.  It's summer.  The day is beautiful.  Crap on a cracker. Well, I suppose it's time for a little self-TLC.

I decide to make myself some Constant Comment tea and a little toast.  I am thinking about adding jelly to the toast, but then I realize that I have two jars of interesting possibilities: Maine blueberry jam and Maine strawberry-rhubarb preserves.  Great -- now I can't decide.  I toast up a piece of bread while debating which jar (both unopened as of yet) gets to be unsealed. This is not going to be easy.  They are both very tempting or else I wouldn't even have them in my house in the first place.

Even a round of Eeny-meeny-miney-moe doesn't help.  (Did I mention that I've exhausted myself?)  Instead, I decide to cut the toast in half and have both.  Yes, yes I do.  I can have my jam and eat my preserves, too, if I want to.  I take my breakfast out to the patio and eat my wonderful toast in alternating bites until I decide that the blueberry jam should be finished first because the preserves are more appealing this morning, so I'm saving them for last.

As I'm finishing my breakfast and sipping my tea, I notice that the neighbor's trees have dumped whirlygigs and leaves all over my patio.  I grab the outdoor broom and ... so much for being exhausted.  Now that I'm full of fruit and a beverage, I suppose it's time to rally and get back to working on this house.