Wednesday, August 29, 2018

SOMETIMES I USE THE FACILITIES

Whenever I drive north on I-89, I stop at one (or both) of the rest areas.  No, it's not necessarily because I have to pee, although preventive bladder emptying is a smart idea when driving long distances.  I stop for the views.

Yes, the views ... outside of the facilities.

The first rest area is just north of Sunapee, NH, in Springfield.  Even if I don't need to stop, I stop.  I always stop because the view is impressive.  All of a sudden the highway gapes open, and visitors can see across the mountains.  The rest area, up on the hill, provides a great scenic vista.

The other rest area I like to stop at comes up relatively quickly after this one.  It's just over the Vermont border in Sharon.  Walking through the welcome center and straight out the other side leads to a memorial built for Vietnam War veterans.  It is, fascinatingly enough, the very first Vietnam veterans' memorial ever erected in the entire country.

Coming south there aren't many rest areas, but I think they've put in a few more.  As I pass one coming home from Burlington, I am happily surprised to see that there's a real building and a paved parking lot.  I don't stop, though.  Coming home is much more of a straight shot than going out, and I am counting the exits until I hook up with I-93 and familiar territory.

Heading north into the mountains is always wonderful.  Eyes wide, mouth open, I wonder why the hell I don't live up here.  I mean, I only really started going to the ocean when I was a teenager.  I've always been a woods and mountain gal since I was little.  Heading south toward home, though, is always depressing.  The land flattens out as does my mood.

Then I remember how much I like Boston and wonder how I could ever leave it.  (Of course, I'm fond of Burlington and Montreal, too, and when I'm in either place, I wonder how I'll ever leave those cities, as well.)  For now, though, I'll make the drive a couple of times a year, and I'll make my usual stops at the rest areas, treating them like the old friends they are.

Oh, yeah.  And sometimes I use the facilities, too.