Wednesday, August 1, 2018

BLISSFULLY HAPPY ABOUT BOOKS

This house has nine bookcases.  Nine.  Granted, each bookcase is a three-shelf unit, and some are wider than others, but still: nine bookcases.  Full.  Nine FULL bookcases with everything from reference books to picture books to newer fiction to rare copies of literature.

I have enough books here at home to keep me busy for months, probably years.  Couple that with the six hundred or so novels I have in my classroom library, and I have more books than an entire team of readers can get through in a reasonable amount of time. 

In other words, I have no business buying more books.  However, I stop in at Barnes and Noble, and this is exactly what I decide is my mission.  BUY.  MORE.  BOOKS.

Once inside the store, I make a beeline to my favorite author.  I don't think I am missing any books from her multiple series, but I've written down all the titles, just in case.  SCORE! I am indeed missing the second book from one mystery series, and B&N has it in stock.  I grab it, and it becomes Book #1.

I am walking away from the racks when another book catches my attention.  This book is about an imprisoned journalist and a soldier facing terrorists.  Hmmmm, some light reading (not) becomes Book #2.

I like to hit the tables of remainder books.  These are the books that are marked down and, unfortunately, are not money-makers for their authors.  These books "remain" after their initial selling push, and they are renamed "remainders."  A bargain for readers; a bust for writers . However, there's a sale: 2 for $10!  I pick up a hardcover about several women on Nantucket who bond after their mutual husband (not married at the same time -- one after the other) winds up dead.  I pick up another remainder book, a paperback, that's an intrigue novel about a CIA operative gone rogue.  (Books # 3 & #4)

I get to the register and discover that the sale is ONLY for hardcover remainders.  I really, really want the novel about the CIA operative, too.  I can either pay the full remainder price for both, which is $3.96 over the sale prices, or I can pay another $1.04 for one more hardcover remainder book. 

Luckily, the remainders display is right near the register.  I see another book by an author I used to read all the time in the late 70's until I discovered that all of her novels, every single one, followed the same exact format.  This novel sounds better, though.  It's about a group of disparate individuals who end up connected by a hurricane that hits New York.  Perfect.  More light reading.  I grab the book, which makes this Book #5.

It takes two bags to bundle up the order.  I leave the store quite happy with my purchases, but I am also apprehensive.  Truly, I have no business bringing stray books into my organized book life at home.  I am surprised that I am not arrested crossing the border from New Hampshire back into Massachusetts.  I am well over the legal limit for unread books, and there's probably a law somewhere that I'm breaking by hoarding books like this. 

Yes, for a fraction of a moment, I am embarrassed and uncomfortably guilty.  However, like all inexplicable pains and aches, the feeling passes.  I get home, take my books out of their bags, and I am blissfully happy once again.