Saturday, August 11, 2018

SOMEONE HAS TO EARN WINE TIME

Filing.  I HATE IT.  Ironically, my first full-time job was as a file clerk.  Did I mention that I HATE FILING?

I need to get myself organized.  I'm not a hoarder, per se, but I am afflicted with that old New England/Yankee syndrome called, "But What If I Need This Someday?"  It's a ridiculous affliction that bites New Englanders in our fat asses the moment we decide to toss something out.  Yup, even if we have owned some useless piece of crap for thirty years and never used it, the day after the trash collectors come will be THE DAY that we wish we had the exact item we just finally tossed.

In other words, this is all a very, very slow process.

I have the following areas of But What If I need This Someday Syndrome:
* my personal files
* my writing files
* my school files
* sewing/mending that needs to be done
* old family photos and documents I inherited
* my basement

To be honest and in the case of full disclosure, I have made some headway over the years.  My basement got the 75% clean-out two years ago, so I really should finish what I started.   The old photos and documents move around from shelves to shelves, but all of the old slides (hundreds of them) have already been scanned and uploaded.  As for the sewing/mending pile, I'm willing to bet that I don't fit into most of those damn clothes anymore, anyway, so that pile will probably go quickly.

The last three or four days (I cannot even remember anymore), I have been digging out from all of my filing: personal, writing, and school-related.  The amount of shredding that has happened is almost shameful, and that's only the stuff with important account information.  The amount of stuff I'm simply pitching is frightening, and, unfortunately for me, the recycling isn't coming for another week, so I have to live with and look at the bags of crap.

Today, I almost reach the end of the worst of it.  Okay, I DO reach the end of the worst of it, so around 4:00 p.m. I decide it's Wine Time.  I know, I know; it should pretty much always be Wine Time, but this is different.  I've actually made headway over the last three or four straight days (at six to ten hours a day -- don't judge me).

I earned this glass of wine.  As a matter of fact, I earned the next glass, and the next glass, and possibly even the next glass, as well.  Appropriately enough, I am sipping (sucking down) Pendulum red blend because the pendulum of mayhem is finally swinging toward the side of order rather than disorder.  I add a little cheese because I probably shouldn't be sipping (sucking down) wine on a near-empty stomach.

Hmmmm.  I'm feeling so good that I might start on the cellar again.  Watch out, people.  I'm going to get myself organized if it takes me the rest of the summer!  Someone has to earn Wine Time.  It might as well be me.