Wednesday, May 3, 2017

THUNDER POMP AND CRICUMSTANCE

Driving to work I like to listen to the radio.  Full volume.  And sing along.  Especially to bad 80's music.  I used to have Sirius radio, then I stopped paying for it because, at the time, it actually sucked.  Now, though, I spend more time flipping stations than I do actually listening to music.

I'm driving along to work yesterday, and I hear Bob Seger (sorry, kids, not a fan).  Before I can hit the scan button, I hear him croak out, "Woke last night to the sound of thunder.  How far off, I sat and wondered..."  Then I told myself, "Well, no worries of that for a while since it's only forty-fucking-degrees outside."

Later on while watching the news, the weather people start talking about all the massive thunderstorms we will be having overnight, mostly between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.  Now, we all know how I feel about the weather forecasters and their dumb-ass snow mis-predictions, but, for some odd reason, they tend to be spot-on with thunder and lightning, like they're idiot savants of Doppler radar when electricity is involved.  Perhaps they all channel their inner Ben Franklin - I just don't know.

Of course, not being a huge fan of thunderstorms anymore, I am now glued to the radar myself.  (I like them when I'm in some buildings and in the car, but I don't like them in a house, a school, or when I'm outside.)  I am watching this unbelievable line of storms along a front that is probably about 500 miles long, and the storms just keep spawning and spawning.  It does appear, though, that my little pocket of the world will be left unscathed because it is inside a bubble of cold air.

Yes, it may be in the 60's everywhere else, including well to the north, but here in my area it's still only forty-fucking-degrees outside.

During the night I awaken for no reason (no noise - the house and world are silent), and I leave my bedroom, which is upstairs and too near the eaves and trees for me to not be restless with predicted storms.  I alternate between playing a few rounds of Solitaire on my phone and watching the radar online.  Just when I think I'll head back to bed, I am shaken from oblivion by a huge crash of thunder.  Huge.  Huuuuuuuuuuuge. 

Unbeknownst to me, I have dozed off moving virtual cards around, and now I'm paying the piper by living the Bob Seger dream.  Yup, I'm waking up to the sound of thunder.  No need to wonder about how far off it is -- it's on top of the house right this moment. 

By the time it all winds down, it's 4:30 a.m., so I decide to stay up and maybe get myself to work a little early since I have a full day planned and haven't set anything up yet.  Nope, though.  It continues to downpour, I still have to take out the trash, and I'm having a dilemma as to whether I should wear pants or a dress (pants win).  It downpours a few more times off and on during the day and into the late afternoon, and the warm front finally arrives twelve hours later than the dawn thunderstorm with little pomp and no circumstance.