Sunday, May 14, 2017

NO LUNCH MENU

On my way to weekly Saturday wine tastings, I always walk past the front windows of an upscale restaurant that piques my curiosity.  No one ever seems to be inside.  Once (and only once) I saw people going in, obviously arriving for a wedding reception or other very special occasion because they were all dressed to the nines.  Other than that, the place constantly seems deserted.

I know they must do a decent business in order to afford the rental.  I've read reviews of the place, too.   I've never seen it look open, but the front doors say they are open every Saturday when I go to the wine shop next door to it.

A wine tasting pal who recently moved to North Carolina is back in the area to attend some meetings.  She, another wine tasting friend, and I decide to do lunch and then do the wine circuit here in town.  Plans are made to meet at the restaurant, the one that never appears to be open.

When we arrive, the place has just opened, and it is deserted.  The restaurant itself is magnificent, beautifully decorated with artfully arranged tables and flawless settings.  Since we are the only ones there, we don't have to wait for a table.  One glance at the menu tells us why this place doesn't do a booming Saturday lunch business: There is no lunch menu.  The prices run from reasonable to expensive, and I opt for a salad with grilled chicken.

Although a little pricier than that with which I would normally feel comfortable, the salad portion is huge.  I will easily get two meals out of this, and I think of at least one other friend and one  relative who would like this place.

But, still.  The whole time we are seated. no one else enters the restaurant.  No one.  It's creepy and refreshing all at the same time; we get personal service and undivided attention.  Best of all, though, we are mere steps from wine tasting #1, which is substantially more crowded but equally attentive.