Sunday, May 7, 2017

TEARING THROUGH ART

I am on my way to smuggle myself into one of the events at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival.

In order to pull off my great stunt, I find myself with thirty minutes to kill at the Peabody Essex Museum.  I go to my favorite of the exhibits - US Maritime - and putter around for a bit.  I still have twenty more minutes until I am meeting a friend (who will also help smuggle me into one of the MPF events).

On my way to another event, I happen across the collection from the Pacific Northwest.  We are about to start a unit on the native cultures in the Vancouver area, so I snap a few pictures of the artifacts and of some of the background placards.  I'll set up a short presentation or create a lesson with the pictures.  You know, real world colliding with school world combined with cyber world.

After I am done watching the video loop of a young Tlingit hip hop artist dancing to native music interspersed with a Tlingit elder dancing traditional native steps to hip hop music, I tear through one more exhibit before meeting the pal who will help me with my quest to be a guest at the next event.

(P.S. I do manage to get into the event without breaking too many rules.  Thanks, TH!)