Friday, May 26, 2017

DESERVING SOME VODKA

After finally arriving home from work and errands that include a follow-up to a bruised ankle that incapacitates me for a week, I decide I deserve a cold beverage.

This past summer I cleared out an entire cabinet just to house the liquor and my son's massive collection of beer glasses.  This means that my desire for something icy and refreshing has several options.  Options that include everything from chocolate liqueur to chocolate wine and an assortment of lots of colorful clear liquid in between.

I opt for the vodka.  There are two small nips of vodka in addition to a larger bottle.  The nips are flavored, giving me a choice of raspberry or orange.  I decide to try them both.

I usually mix my liquor and tonic water with a much, much larger ratio of tonic and a much, much smaller jigger of alcohol.  Since I'm not sure I'll even like the flavored stuff, I use a juice-sized glass and start experimenting.

Here are my results:

The raspberry vodka is way too sweet to mix with tonic water, and no amount of lemon nor lime (nor both) could salvage its cotton candy flavor.  If you like a sweet drink, this may be for you.  The orange vodka plus the lime plus the lemon that were still in the glass from my first experiment complimented the tonic water quite pleasantly.

Of course, hankering for an icy beverage qualifies me for little less than idle commentary.  No matter what I pour myself, it's going to do what it needs to do: quench the thirst and wash away the crappy week I've put together so far.