Saturday, August 3, 2013

RAINING AND REELING (NOT A FISHING REFERENCE)



I used to like the sound of rain.  I used to like it on the car roof, against the house windows, and as it hit the pavement of sidewalks or streets.  I used to find it easier to sleep when it was raining.

Not anymore.

For some odd reason, the sound of rain annoys the hell out of me.  It distracts me when I'm reading or watching television, aggravates me when I'm trying to concentrate, and wakes me from a sound sleep in the dead of night.

This is exactly what happens Thursday night.  It has been nice most of the day -- cool temperature, breezy, low humidity.  And then the weather does what the weather has done every stinking day since summer started: It turns.  Clouds roll in, the temperature climbs, air movement ceases, and the humidity crawls up.  The other morning when I woke to rain, the thick air stunk like low tide and dead fish.  (I live twenty miles from the ocean.) 

No way am I making that mistake a second time in one week.  I order an immediate shut down. 

My son and I slam every window shut and crank the air conditioners.  It is a decision made in the knick of time as the sweat-enticing humidity level has already set in to the upstairs bedrooms.  By the time I crawl into my own room around midnight, it's as cool as a refrigerator in the house. 

In short, inside I now have prime sleeping weather.  Outside?  Soupy, muggy, cloudy conditions.

I sleep like the dead until about 4:00 a.m.  I have the air conditioner blasting from the hallway and a fan directly blowing on me (and, I discover when I awaken, a pillow partially covering my head that I apparently dragged over when thrashing about in one of my several hundred dreams of the overnight hours), yet still the sound of the rain outside interrupts my sleep pattern.

For some reason, I am exhausted, more so even than usual.  I cannot believe anything wakes me.  Even the trains that roll through all night just yards from the house do not disturb my slumber anymore.  But this sound, this light rain (for truly it is not a monsoon or anything) somehow manages to bring me out of LaLa Land. 

I have a broken back door.  The bottom of it let loose a month ago, and it needs to be replaced.  Sometimes when it rains sideways, as it has in two recent thunder storms, floods of water pour in and cover the back hall and part of the kitchen and run into the tiny pantry shelves.  I decide that if the rain has awakened me, I should probably check the towel-stuffed door jamb for tsunami damage.

I need to be honest here.  I am not a person who sleeps through the night even under ideal conditions.  I am used to hitting the floor with both feet securely capable of functioning, even from a comatose condition.  For reasons that remain unknown, the wee hours of this very morning are not so accommodating.  I stand up, start down the stairs, and promptly walk into the railing and wall.

You heard me correctly.  I am halfway down the stairs and trying to turn through the drywall and make a break for it into the next room.

I teeter and reel down the remaining stairs then hit the bottom landing of tile like my legs are anchors.  Here I have to make a decision.  If I continue straight on, I will face plant into the front door.  Not very feng shui. I know I have to turn left through the den, head through the kitchen, and wheel around to reach the back door, but I cannot seem to function.  It's as if my equilibrium is somewhere else, planet Neptune or something.  My brain simply will not engage, and my body simply will not cooperate.  I think very strongly about turning left, stumble sideways, and struggle to stay upright.

I have not been drinking.

I just want to put that out there to clear things up.  You know, just in case you are judging me.  Oh, puh-leeze.  I would soooo be judging you, and you damn well know it.

I manage to crawl-walk through the kitchen.  I lean up against the wall and look down at the door-towel that is acting as a very lame defense against the ever-rising moat outside.  I reach the toes of my right foot over and am surprised to find the towel is bone dry.  I stop and listen.  Was it the sound of rain that woke me?  Patience plus an ear to the door assure me that yes, it really is raining outside, but apparently it's not pouring sideways, so we're good to go.  This is a wonderful thing because I have so much vertigo right now that I am afraid to lean over and touch the towel with my hand.  If I try and touch this towel, I am going down.

I stumble into the bathroom for a PBE (preventive bladder emptying).  No sense in maneuvering back upstairs only to discover that maybe quite possibly I might have to pee.  I nearly miss the seat when I sit down, causing me to grab both the vanity and the toilet paper dispenser.  I feel like a drunken sailor on a five day bender (why not? I swear like one).  A few minutes and one more towel check later and long after I've clutched my way back up the Mt. Everest of stairs, I manage to get back to sleep and do not stir for another three hours.

I used to love the sound of rain, but now apparently all it does is bug the piss out of me.  Literally.  (And that's one weather report I would pay money to hear a meteorologist give.)

PS  As I am trying to post this blog, a thunder storm rolls through.  Karma totally sucks.  Touche, Mother Nature.  You win again.