Friday, August 30, 2013

DRIVING THE INVISIBLE CAR



Today I am driving the invisible car.

#1.  I am driving along at 35 mph, a few yards behind the car in front of me with no one behind me.  A guy in an SUV pulls out of Brechin Terrace directly in front of me, thinks better of it, and stops halfway out.  I slam on my brakes, swear my head off at him, honk my horn, and park in front of him for about five seconds while throwing him the bird.  Asshole.

#2.  A car waits until I get up to its road (where there is a stop sign for that car) while I drive along North Street at 45 mph.  I slam on the brakes again, and said car proceeds at a whopping 28 mph.  I am driving on its bumper, speaking in tongues and reviewing every foul word I've ever learned plus a few I haven't.

#3.  Pulling into the car dealer for an oil change, there is a huge 18-wheeler blocking the service lot.  I attempt to get around the truck, but the driver blocks my maneuver by unloading the back of the truck using a huge wire contraption and he leaves said contraption across what's left of the driveway.  I back up and leave my car out front, parking it like a jerk and tossing my keys at (not to) the clerk.

#4.  Pulling out of the car dealer there is a statie parked at the on ramp for I-93 south at Pelham Street, and everyone is driving at 55 mph.  Everyone.  All three lanes.  I only have to travel a couple of exits, so I crawl home.

#5.  Exiting the highway, a blue SUV with an old fart driving it careens across lanes of traffic to get in front of me (there's no one behind me), then proceeds to drive at 20 mph in a 30 mph speed zone, a 40 mph speed zone, and stops dead to turn into a wide street because god forbid he actually be able to make a simple turn without having a stroke.

#6 & #7.  Driving to BJ's in Haverhill to stock up son for college, not one but two cars pull out directly in front of me while I am tooling along at 47 mph.  The first one is a stupid bitch on her cell phone, pulling across three lanes of traffic because she decides it isn't necessary to stop when exiting Butcher Boy Market and pulling onto route 125.  The second car does the same thing pulling out of the flower shop, apparently pre-ordering flowers for the driver's funeral because I nearly hit the car and send it into oncoming traffic.  Son is with me and probably needs his shorts changed at this point.

Honestly, people, it's not a small car that I drive.  It's a big white blob of a car cruising along at a decent speed.  Open your frigging eyes and pay attention.  And for the love of all things holy, get the fuck OFF your cell phone while maneuvering a dangerous road entry.