Friday, August 2, 2013

ANXIETY AND ALIENS



I have to find some old books that I'm willing to cut apart for a class I'm taking next week.  I own hundreds of books; including my stash at school for the students, that number is over twelve hundred.  My school books are all packed up, though, so I only have the oodles of books here at the house.  I should easily be able to find something with pictures in it that I'm willing to cut and paste to my heart's content.

I pass by the paperback collection.  The book is supposed to have pictures and be a genre outside of my writing comfort zone, so mainstream fiction and non-fiction are eliminated from the list of options.  I go through my collection of art and drawing books, my humor collection, history, holiday, reference books, books full of house plans for a house I'll never build, and children's picture books. 

I can only come up with one possible book I'd be willing to slice and dice:  U.F.O.'s.  Inside this book are chapters like: Where it all started, Strange things in Earth orbit, Lights in the sky, and The search for other worlds.   

I discover that there are several advantages to this book.  It has some fantastic photographs in it.  There are pictures and photos in black and white and also in color.  Each page is decorated with a clamshell-shaped UFO (which would make a fantastic flip book if I decide to cut them out and glue them down onto index cards as if they are one UFO in motion).  The best part, though, are the chapter titles, written in large and varied fonts.  If I get to mix and match words to create text, I will be in like Flynn.

The more I look at the book, the less I want to destroy it.  I remember why I bought it (on sale) in the first place.  I am now extremely concerned that I will need to take a trip to Barnes and Noble and buy a random book to use as my cut-and-paste book. 

This is so not good.

 I stare at the photo of the woman crouching along the rock-filled vacuum of land in Nazca, Peru, an ancient site where patterns of strange lines spread out in all directions for 200 square miles.  She seems to be imploring, "Don't cut me.  Please."  Perhaps she is thinking that I should save her.  Her eyes almost appear to be pleading, "I'm innocent," which is the exact line my friends and I throw around when we're really guilty but want to pretend we are not.  Her motionless excuses mean nothing to me.

There's the full-page explanation of Foo Fighters, WWII Allied bombers, that experienced strange light phenomenon inside their aircraft while flying missions.  How can I abandon the Foo Fighters?  How will I cut them to shreds without compunction (especially since their namesake makes such great music)?

This class starts Monday.  In the hour since I placed the book into the box of collected materials I am readying for the course, I have already removed the book twice to peruse through it.  I should probably note that the book has been gathering dust on my shelf for at least two years since the last time I even touched it.  Yet suddenly, losing this book seems like surrendering a limb.

I will know by next Friday whether or not the book comes through unscathed by remaining at home, or if my classmates and I tear it into shreds of creative novelty along with the books they are also required to contribute.  For now, the book is indeed in the school box.  The bibliophiles amongst us know exactly what I'm grappling with at the moment.  Honestly, at this point, my money is not on me.  After all, the book has technology and science fiction on its side.  And aliens.  Everybody knows only Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.   

I have my work cut out for me … literally.