Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I'M KINDA TIRED HERE



My mind has been going in too many different directions lately.  I had a grad class last week, and I exhausted myself trying to keep pace.  This week the final portfolio for the class is due but not until Friday.  Today is Tuesday (but when you read this, it will actually be Wednesday -- don't confuse me), and I decide after only five scant hours of sleep that I am not getting up from the computer (except for bathroom and kitchen needs) until the portfolio is done.

Why do I decide this?  Well, first of all, my house is a pit and I have two weeks to get it into order.  I have been working on it piece by piece this summer, but now it's crunch time. 

Secondly, I cannot go on like this anymore.  I have officially lost my mind. 

Last week coming home from class one day, I took two wrongs turns, drove into my town then out again, and ended up driving in two unnecessary circles.  This all happened Thursday --  too much on my mind and my plate, and they both cracked a bit.

Yesterday I had three places to go:  the post office to mail bills in the drive-thru box, Staples to get new antivirus because mine expired yesterday, and to the grocery store to get a few things, you know, like food and toilet paper -- stuff we actually need.  This is less than five miles round trip.  This should be simple.  Right?

I start out walking to my car so damn proud of myself.  I remember the bills, the list, my debit card, and my keys.  I get to the car and realize I forgot my cell phone.  Back into the house I go.  After a few minutes of searching for the phone, I find it.  And we're off yet again.

I drive down the street to the post office, pull around and … promptly drive right past the post office.  So I pull into the nearest lot and turn around.  I drive up to the mailbox, drop my bills into the chute, and start going North on route 28. 

This is not helpful as I need to go east on 133 to 114.  I decide to go to the intersection of 28 and 133 because it's not really too far out of my way, maybe half a mile.  Except that when I get there, traffic is backed up.  So I swing down a side street by the big soccer field and loop onto route 133. 

Excellent.  At least I'm headed in the right direction now. 

I even remember to take the short cut at the light and cut over to 114 right where Staples is.  Piece of cake.  This is going to be easy.  All I need is the antivirus software and I have a $5 coupon that I actually remembered to put in my pocketbook.

I look at the antivirus I want to buy.  It's only $59.99, more than I hoped but exactly what I expected to pay.  I throw in some yellow highlighters because there's a sale and I'm good to go.  Until the cashier tells me my order is more than $80.  Well, I know the highlighters are only $2, so something is wrong here.  I go check the price while she calls over the intercom for an MOD, which I assume is Manager On Duty and not Man Of Distinction of Mothers Of De-Invention or Mysterious Orange Dimple.  The antivirus is actually $79.99.  Because the manager reminds me of Chuck (from the TV show) and is super-sweet and agrees it's their mistake so he gives me $20, I don't throw a fit.  As a matter of fact, I'm too bloody tired to throw a fit.  I leave the store happy, well, relatively happy.

I get to the stop light and turn my car … right.  Goddamnit, I needed to go left to the grocery store.  Sonofabitch.  I start yelling at myself, "Get your head in the game!  Get your head in the game!"  My windows are open; the traffic is everywhere; there are people in the parking lot of the CVS I cut through to get back to 114.  All the while yelling, not muttering and not cajoling, but berating myself like an incontinent dog, "Get your head in the game!  Get your head in the game!" 

 In the evening after I have my son help me load the antivirus, it is still running hours later doing a full scan.  I finally go to bed and set the computer to turn itself off after the scan finishes.  It is 1 a.m.  I wake up at least three times and finally get up for good at 5:50, take the trash out, and start working on my portfolio.  I am going great guns by 7 a.m.  At 7 p.m. I am just finishing.  Twelve hours.  Twelve frikkin' straight hours, but it's done.  I added pictures and loaded it up to Dropbox in case of an emergency, even.  All I have to do is email the portfolio to the professor.

I say, all I have to do is email this puppy to the … MOTHERFUCKER.  She gave us the wrong email address and her school account is defunct because she is done teaching there and is moving (already moved actually) to Minnesota. My email, complete with portfolio attachment, bounces right back to me.  I email her school address anyway and ask her to double-check her home email that she typed into our email.  Must be a simple typo … if I can find her via email to figure it all out.

Deep breaths.  Deep breaths.  The portfolio is done, it is saved on my computer, it is printed out just in case, and it has been jettisoned to Dropbox so it's safe in Cyber Land.  What else could possibly go wrong?!

Okay, who asked that question.  Who is the dumb shit who asked about other things going wrong?  Floyd is back, that's what's wrong.  Floyd the Uterine Fibroid has decided to vacation with me yet again this summer.  Floyd, baby, honey, pumpkin -- This is getting really old.  Really, really old.  And, come to think of it, so am I, so what the hell is this Floyd crap?  Shouldn't Floyd be history by now? 

So if anyone wants to know why at 11 p.m. on a Tuesday I am sucking down a Margarita while still sitting at my computer, you know why.  If you don't know why, then you probably don't understand anything else I've said about wrong turns and interrupted sleep patterns.  In the scheme of things, this is small potatoes, but I have to be honest.  If I can't even trust myself to drive a few miles for errands without getting myself lost, then I'm in some mighty deep doo. 

It's okay, though.  I already told you I've lost my mind.  If anyone happens to find it, though, make sure it turns on its GPS.  I don't want it going north when it's supposed to be coming south, turning left when it's supposed to turn right, or driving around in circles because it's lost.  I've already done that enough.

Did I mention I took two wrong turns coming home the other day after school and ended up missing my own town?  Yup, this is why the portfolio is done -- I'm afraid I'll lose my marbles along the way.