Wednesday, August 28, 2013

GOING TO MAINE AND MISBEHAVING



I need my sister's help with a dress. 

I have the tailor do the heavy lifting with seams and chiffon and all that, but there's a little something extra the dress needs that only my sister can do well.  After leaving the tailor shop, I drive directly to Maine.  I do not pass Go; I do not collect $200.

Whenever I go there, it's the same routine -- We chat, we munch on mostly-healthy food, we play some cards or other twisted game, and we laugh our asses off.  I don't think I've ever had a bad time at my sister's house.  Ever. 

We revert right back to being kids. 

If we're in the pool, we stay in for hours, first pretending to behave then creating a huge whirlpool until the youngsters are sucked around in circles and cannot escape from the drag.  When that gets old, we grab inner tubes and have dunk-wars in the middle of the pool.  In short, we act like juveniles, and it's even better (meaning we all behave worse) if we throw our brothers into the mix.

Today we are perfecting the dress I brought up with me.  My sister is adding her magic touch to it to make it perfect.  First thing she does, though, is throw me a decent strapless bra and instructs me to put the thing on under my dress.  Good thing because it would look pretty stupid on the outside of my dress.  After some pinning and primping (of the dress, not the bra nor its contents), we need a break.  After all, we've been serious for an entire fifteen minutes; that's probably a record.

We decide to play dress-up.  I'm not even remotely kidding.  We are two grown women battling middle-age like valiant warriors, and we are giggling like little kids raiding her closet.  We pose and make silly faces at the cell phone camera then take a picture of ourselves together in the mirror.  The mirror picture, though, comes out blurry because we are both laughing too hard.

After dress-up, we get back to business with the dress machinations that I came for in the first place.  About halfway through this process, we take a break to play cards and eat beige food.  No really, it's all beige:  Triscuits, Wheat Thins, banana slices, and smoky cheddar cheese (the smell of which sends me to Nirvana, and I keep inhaling the scent of the cheese slices before I eat them, which totally grosses out my sister, giving me more reason to keep doing it).  After she beats me two games to one and after we've eaten the beige food, we head back to the workroom to finish the dress task.

We decide to do a quick work-out in her basement mini-gym.  I arrive prepared and change into black yoga pants and a pink work-out shirt.  My sister, who has been changing in another part of the house, joins me in the hallway, and she is wearing … black work-out shorts and a pink work-out shirt.  The fact that we have accidentally dressed like twins is kind of creepy because the dress I brought up to her house for some alterations is the exact same color as the dress she is wearing to the same event in a week.

We do our sweat-circuit and then return to the kitchen where we are Skyping with my niece (my sister's daughter) while she is stationed with the Marines in New Orleans.  The first thing my niece notices?  Her mother and I are dressed alike, which is really ironic and slightly creepy since the Marine is a twin and my sister and I are not.  While chatting via the Internet, we notice that the Marine is making dinner.  Mac & cheese -- the Spongebob Squarepants kind. 

This makes us hungry, so we split some chicken parmesan and pasta.  Dinner time conversation now includes her husband, who is trying to be serious.  We talk politics and religion and all the gray areas people claim one should avoid in conversation.  Finally the talk goes exactly where we know it has to because it's inevitable when we're together.  The talk goes off topic.  Big time.  Over 100 pounds worth of big time.  Somehow we get onto the topic of the television special about the man with the 132-pound scrotum. 

Yes, this is all very normal for us … the conversation not the scrotum.

I'm on my way by about 8:20 and home by 9:40.  It's a good day, and my sides hurt but not from working out.  They hurt because we laughed so hard.  Again.  Like always.  All because I need her help, and she is willing to give it. 

I suppose that means I should forgive her for dragging me face-first down the street with a rope attached to a bicycle when my roller skates gave out beneath me all those decades ago.

Naaaaaah.  Where's the fun in that?