Tuesday, August 13, 2013

DUELING BUTT CHEEKS



There's nothing like side-by-side automatic butt-drying to get a day started.

We are at the outlet stores in Merrimack, NH, a place so unadvertised along the roadside (except for one billboard in the Lowell area) and tucked unto the trees that unless you know exactly what your mission is, you'd never find it.  The place is well organized, everything compact and in walk-able, interconnected rectangles, unlike Kittery, Maine, where you have to get in your car and drive from place to place, backtracking as necessary and swearing if a lane change is needed or, god forbid, a change of direction might be necessary.

We arrive early, find a front row parking space (we actually have the pick of about 95% of the expansive lots), and walk around with several other early birds.  The outlet doesn't open officially until 10 a.m., and it is 9:40 when we pull in.  Luckily it is a nice day weather-wise, which is good because the stores may be connected, but to access each, you have to go outside and face the elements.

After hitting the restroom, which we really don't need but no point in thinking about it thirty minutes from now when we're off to the races with other shoppers, we decide to sit in the gazebo.  The view from this area is really nice, mountains in the background, and I have forgotten how much I miss this.  I spent many of my formative years in the next town over from this, where we ran and biked and skied and sledded and plotted in our three acres of trees and mini-trails. 

My daughter and I check the gazebo seats with our hands before sitting down.  They are dry, so we figure we are safe.  Her future mother-in-law is with us, too, and she sees us decide it's safe to sit down and sits down without checking, sitting squarely in a small but chilly seat-puddle of rain water.  Moments later I realize the morning dew is actually dripping off the back of my chair, and I, too, have a round wet spot forming where my back right pocket is.  In other words, I have a damp upper butt cheek.  MIL has a long flat damp spot across her rear end.

Normally this kind of thing would aggravate us, but we're not easily embarrassed nor do we worry about little dark, damp spots on our hineys.  It's not like we peed our pants or anything, and it's not like anyone else there gives a crap about our butts.  Everyone is there to do exactly what we're doing: Shopping.

We remember the bathroom has air hand dryers.  We know this because we have already hit the bathrooms in preparation for a marathon session of store-browsing.  There are two dryers, side by side.  Thankfully no one else is in there when we enter, so we get the dryers going, turn around backward, and stick of bums under the warm air.  Since we are not drenched but merely damp, this process does not take long, and everything is fine and good until a woman walks in and immediately sees us under the dryers. 

My daughter thinks this is all quite hilarious and tries to take our picture to post on Facebook for the entire world to see.  I, on the other hand, do not find it so humorous.  Seriously, there's little in the world that is sadder than having your picture posted with your ass cheek, still covered in damp capris, straining to reach an automatic hand dryer. 

To be honest, this is not my first butt-cheek-to-bathroom-hand-dryer encounter.  It happened to me years ago after getting caught in a squall/tornado on Squam Lake, reeling off the boat, wandering to my car, and driving south while completely soaking, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  I stopped at the Burger King in Ashland, NH to pull the same ass-drying stunt, except I was so incredibly wet that it did little good.

Today, though, the dryer trick works.  We are good to go within about four minutes, dry and dew-less, ready to tackle such tasks as finding "Andy's undies" and overdosing on the fantastic fumes inside Wilson's Leather.  Honestly, do you think this tale is posted for its normalcy?  Normal is not in my vocabulary.  Well, it is, but not when describing me or my karma.

As for the day spent shopping, well, it's a tough job, but someone's got to live it.  Might as well be me.  I mean, I dried my butt off and everything just for this occasion.