Wednesday, August 21, 2013

HOME DEPOT DEBACLE



I am feeling guilty about blowing off the beach until the six o'clock news comes on the television.  I planned on going to the beach a few times this week, and so far it hasn't happened. 

Don't get me wrong: I love the beach and I really do have good intentions of getting there more often than I actually do.  The beach and I are like this (pretend you can see me crossing my index finger over my middle finger and accompanying it all with a really interesting facial expression).  I even have the whole day planned out and it revolves around the three hours I plan on spending at North Beach.

But I toss and turn this morning, unable to get back to sleep, because my To Do List is gnawing at me while the summer clock ticks down to my Ground Zero -- The First Day of the School Year.  I still have not gotten my passport, nor have I cleaned the basement, finished the spare room, painted over the stains in the living room ceiling from an ice jam a few winters back, reviewed Spanish for the language exam I must pass this fall, nor turned on my school laptop to teach myself how to use the SmartBoard program.

I decide that my day at the beach will only turn into me watching the clock and thinking about all the things I should be doing instead of lounging around enjoying life.  Grudgingly I get into regular clothes and head out to Home Depot. 

Today I will replace the window shades that are so old most of them have broken and no longer open without serious machinations, loops of yarn, and other homemade contraptions.  I have been to Home Depot before to solve this dilemma, but they never have the cheapo shades I need because I'll be damned if I am going to replace the mounting mechanisms and start from scratch.

Damn.  I've been damned.

Even though Home Depot.com claims the store has the shades, I've always been unable to locate them.  Today I am determined to re-shade or bust, only there will be no busting this time.  I'm not leaving here until I have the shades I need.  I wait and wait and wait for someone to come along, and then she has to cut a rug (literally, as in truly cut a length of carpet on a giant bladed machine, not dance around the store) before she can help me. 

Cue the grumpy old guy.

Grumpy Old Guy is not the person scheduled to work that department today, but he agrees to help me.  He convinces me that if I really want to go cheap, mini blinds are the best bet.  I've had mini blinds before, even put them up myself, but I remember they are dust magnets, especially in the spring when all the pollen gets into the house.  In the end, I am far cheaper than I am lazy, so I go with the $5 mini blinds.  I need eight of them.  Good deal.

Until Grumpy Old Guy discovers I need two of them cut to size.

Of course the ones to be cut are the $15 blinds.  They can't cut the cheap ones because they are the cheap ones.  It turns out that half my total bill is for the two cut blinds

Pissah start.

I get the blinds home and realize that the directions are too convoluted to follow.  They're done in pictures.  I am not a visual learner.  To make it worse, the two expensive blinds have totally different directions than the cheapo ones. 

Pissah again.

I realize that I don't have all the supplies I need because my children have pilfered my tool cabinet over the years.  I do not have a single Phillips head screwdriver left out of the half dozen I've owned over the years.  I scour the house and eventually find one, so I get to work with the flimsy Phillips head screwdriver on the brackets, first taking the old brackets out by hand and then putting the new brackets in.  Sixty minutes later, one window is finished.

Halfway through the second window, I realize that living in an old house totally and completely sucks ass.  One reason is because the walls leak cold air in the winter.  Another reason is because it's infested with silverfish, which I find offensive and disgusting and absolutely hideous.  But mostly this old house sucks ass because it is completely plastered.  The guy who owns it is an exceptionally talented Italian artisan who plastered this house old school style.  As soon as I start trying to work on hanging the blinds, plaster dust is everywhere. 

I give up and go get the electric drill that I own.  It's cordless, and I've only used it a few times.  I can't even remember how to work the damn thing, so I peruse through the directions again while the battery charges.  Instead of an hour, this time it takes me forty-five minutes to get the blind in, but I'm starting to get the hang of this whole fiasco.

By the time I get to windows #3 and #4, I am a two-fisted drilling monster who can remove a screw as easily as plant one into the alabaster-like finish.  I don't even care that paint is chipping away as I go.  Fuck it.  The landlord should've used wallboard, paper tape, and mud (joint compound) like normal people and French Canadian contractors (which I suppose somehow implies that the northern contractors are not normal, which may or may not be entirely untrue) do.

The only problem now is that the cheapo blinds are short.  They're not 30" like the box claims.  They're 29".  Here's where some of you say, "Oh she shoulda known better," to which I respond by putting my hands around your collective throats and squeezing.  I should've assumed since it was probably packaged by men, that anything written on the outer box would be a gross exaggeration of one's … uh … length … yardage, YARDAGE, I meant. 

By windows #5 and #6, I am taking the old brackets down first --- brrrrp brrrp brrrp brrrrp --- easy pickings for the electric screwdriver.  Then I switch back over to a drill bit, mark the spots for the brackets for both windows, then --- brrrrrp  brrrrp brrrp…  Twenty-five minutes later, the blinds for both windows are up and secure.

Windows #7 and #8 also go great … great, I tell you  … until …. until I turn funny while stretching to reach one of the screws.  I accidentally tweak my left knee.  It hurts, I mean it really totally and completely hurts, and I cannot put any weight on it.

Pissah once again.

I limp upstairs because I know somewhere up there I have a Velcro knee brace.  I locate it, wrap it around my knee, and try to get back up onto the chair to finish the installation.  I'm so close, so very close, to marking this project off my To Do List.

I finish all of the windows while watching the news and my heart stops for a moment when I hear, "Shark spotted at Wallis Sands…"  That's just north of where I would've been swimming, and by "just north" I am talking probably a mile or two.  My biggest ocean fear.  Shark.  In the waters off Rye/Hampton, NH.  Again. 

This is why I scoff at people who laugh at me when I tell them I only go waist deep in the water.  Lately I've been venturing deeper, getting more daring, trusting that I won't be the shark's first meal choice.  Or last meal choice.  Or dessert.  Or any damn choice at all.  This is why I swim in clear pools.  (If it's any consolation, I'm not overly fond of leeches, either, so I avoid ponds and lakes that look reedy or skeevy.)

I am suddenly looking at my blinds in a new light.  Well, that and because they are light-filtering blinds so more light is going to be filtering through.  Now my blinds are not only making the windows look bitchin' but they may well have salvaged my limbs for me.

Except my knee.  Apparently I have sacrificed my knee to stave off sharks.

I can hear myself now explaining this one to the orthopedist.  "Well, ya see, Doc, it's like this.  I was going to go to the beach but I decided to put up blinds today and then I tweaked my knee because sharks were going to eat it anyway."

 To  put it into medical terms, the blinds saved my ass.  Er, my knee.  Wait, no.  Blinds broke my knee.  Okay, my ass.  Blinds did save my ass.

Pissah at last.

I no longer have any lingering guilt about giving up a perfectly good beach day for the sake of a bunch of blinds.  But I will say the effect is bitchin'  Such a difference from broken paper accordion shades being held open with scraps of yarn and trim.  Maybe I'll hit the beach tomorrow.  Time's a-ticking and my To Do List is shrinking, and that, kids, is what's really pissah, wicked wicked pissah.