Sunday, August 18, 2013

APPARENTLY I AM STUPID



Apparently I am really, really, really stupid. 

My mother was an art history major.  I grew up with art books and paintings in the house, including Degas prints in my room.  When I went to DC at age thirteen, I came home with prints I bought from the National Gallery of Art shop.  I'm a huge fan of M. C. Escher, and I have a sincere appreciation of all kinds of art, including unusual, modern, conceptual, and contemporary.

But this … this shit is just too much.

I visit the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston for the very first time in my life.  I have been to the ICA before many times, but I have never actually stepped inside.  My friend has two daughters who work nearby, it's our favorite parking lot area because it's a stone's throw back to the highway, the views of the city both by land and sea are spectacular here at the wharf, and it's where the cliff divers leap into the harbor (from the ICA roof). 

Today, though, admission is free all day long.  I can finally see all the treasures inside and not have to spend a single dime to do it.  I am exhilarated, the anticipation killing me.  I just came off of two trips to Boston's Museum of Fine Arts and a full day at Salem's Peabody Essex Museum.  This place sounds cool, its name is cool, the glassed in views of the harbor are cool.  I mean, it's contemporary, man, right?  Cool.

My daughter and my friend come with me.  We get dropped off at Oak Grove, hop the orange line of the subway (well, we try to -- Sal apparently is ticket-challenged and has to pay and extra $2 to get through, and even then, the gates smoosh her as she screams by), and change to the blue line at State Street.  It's a short walk from the Aquarium, and it's a beautiful day.  We walk into the ICA, find no lines (which is crazy on a day a Boston museum opens for free), and promptly put on our disposable tags to prove we are official patrons of the arts. 

Expecting four floors of displays and a few hours of contemplation, we are surprised to be told we must report to the glass elevator:  The ICA only holds one floor of art, the fourth floor, so move along, children, move along, move along, move along.  Like cattle being prodded to the unknown branding, we dutifully step into the small lobby area and wait for the next … the only … elevator.  There are two smaller elevators behind us, but guards are standing there.  I guess those elevators are too important to carry passengers.  Perhaps they are part of the art.

As soon as we step off the elevator, we are greeted by several young, hip, happening-type guides, who are presumably more versed on the art than are we.  We discover quickly that the ICA is not a museum.  It's a series of rooms that house a few artists at a time, showcasing their work that presumably moves on to another gallery somewhere else.  This makes for an interesting show if you like the stuff, and a deadly show if you do not. 

The first piece of art we encounter consists of five photos, one of which has some red lines on it from a magic marker, printed out on an ink jet, and taped to a piece of glass.  Honestly, it looks like it took the artist less than five minutes to put together.  There was some hooey about why the artists did this, but I lost interest when I came across the modge-podged white paper.  That's right, you heard me: blank paper covered with glue to become a brittle blank piece of paper.  Ta-da! 

Yeah.  So far, not impressed. 

It went on and on like this.  Pictures that were printed off a computer, artwork that looked like a really pissed off kindergartner did it, and stuff that said profound things on the plaques explaining the art, such contemplative words as "This art represents the vacuum of reality" or "I like to dump entire buckets of acrylic paint onto canvases and see what happens.  This is what happens."  I mean, really.  I could've done that.  Doesn't anyone have creativity anymore?

There are the awkward dimensional paintings made up of someone squishing paint from tubes, even cake bags, we are told, and even cookie cutters.  Yeah, no shit.  I can see the cacophony from across the room, and I don't even have my glasses on yet.  There are two old chairs stuck to the wall because the artist likes the thought that things can become … things.  I frigging shit you not.  That's his artist statement that things can indeed become, well, you know.  Things.


There are weird movies by a woman dressed in white with black lines and things poked into her eyes and occasionally with body parts and body hair made out of yarn stuck to her in various places as she spouts WWI poetry.  This is creepy and scares the hell out of my adult daughter, especially when the performer stares at the camera, large black holes for eyes, and starts rhyming about murdering people. 

Yeah.  Art.
There is room after room by a graffiti artist who believes that even if you own property you suck and he hates you, so he will tag your house because you don't really own anything.  He is obviously a Communist.  Good for him.  But let me assure you, if he tags my property, I will tag him right back with a .22 slug in his ass cheek.  That will be MY art.  Maybe I'll use buckshot and make a pretty pattern in his rear-end, and if a few pellets get wedged into his crack, I can tell him he doesn't really own that crack; I have a right to tag it with my shot gun.  Maybe I'll get my own show, too.  He has animated set-ups of himself tagging property with his paint, and he has a sculpture using shelves that showcase his old spray cans.  He has photos of himself destroying and defacing public property, but, hey, he's an artist who suffers for his art.  He tags your property because he's a dickhead.

The other depressing part of the show is a room full of paintings that look like the whole room of art took less than 24 hours to complete.  It is a room full of half-painted floated faces of white men sticking out their tongues.  Why?  Well, according to the artist's statement it is because black Americans were lynched. 

Say what?!  I mean, truly say fuckin' WHAAAAAAT?! 

So are you as an artist laughing about that?  Are you saying that floating white men's faces with tongues sticking out are responsible for it?  You think this dark part of our country's history is subject for your ridicule and a chance at an art gallery?  Tell me the truth, artist, you just made that shit up to make your art appear provocative so you could get picked for this gallery show, right?  No way are you equating tongue-wagging, clownish, half-finished white painted heads on two dimensional canvases to be a political statement that throws the race card.  Are you?

The most disturbing thing I see, though, is the video of the tongues.  Yes, apparently this show is enamored with tongues.  The "artist," and I really do debate this label for this person, taped models (because lord knows their tongues must be gorgeous for the camera), videoed women licking colored sugar off a glass plate.  The music is equally disturbing.  For the musicians out there, it is G (wait about five seconds) then F sharp then it repeats every five seconds like that ad nauseam.  While licking.  Licking.  Licking colored sugar.  Off the plate.  Art.

For the most part, I am not fascinated, enthralled, nor impressed with this art.  Some of it actually makes me physically sick.  There is the painting of the woman with the massively misshapen breasts, one the size of a fist and the other one sticking up in the air and large as a watermelon.  The statement says, "I wanted to represent women's bodies as they really are…"  Sweetcheeks, I can assure you I know no women with such boobage.

Some of it, very, very little of it, is truly fascinating.  I like the television pyramid for some reason, possibly because I've owned many of the old model TVs on display.  The inside of the garbage dumpster is a life-sized animated artist tagging the women's room with graffiti.  How do I know it's the woman's room?  It's clean, there are multiple sinks, and it's all stalls with no urinals.  For some reason, I find this attention to detail to be humorous, almost like the male artist made a mistake.  Either that or he's a pervert.

All in all, the art is not that exciting, and the artist statements are laughable.  A guide finally comes over to enlighten us about some of the stuff we are dissing.  "Ladies, the artist who created this awful, babyish smooshy colored blob was very angry that the university threw out her 300-foot long comic strip she drew as her thesis."

Really?  Threw it out?  Must've looked like shit, then, if someone thought her thesis was leftover crap.  I'm terribly sorry and I hate that it happened to her, but seriously, she's pissed off so she throws acrylic paint at square canvases?  Oh, but it's layered, it's textured, this represents her multi-faceted anger, the guide tells us.  Yeah, it's layered all right; layered under a thick load of bullshit.

Look, if this is talent then I'm wicked talented, too. 

I am a writer and a literature teacher.  I can create connotations where none exist and call it a research paper.  I can pull shit right out of my ass and sound profound ("e.e. cummings' 'In Just Spring' not only talks about the goat-footed boy, the whole poem is shaped … LIKE A GOAT FOOT!" to which Dr. V's eyes opened really wide and he replied in awe, "I never noticed that before!")  Profound, I tell you.  Wicked, wicked, deeply profound.

This place, the ICA, might as well be the Unreality Zone.  For every professional art critic nodding knowingly and praising this show at the ICA, you've been duped.  This is not art, contemporary nor provocative. This art is sad.  That's all.  Sad.  And while all the make-believers ooooh and aaaah their way through the galleries, pretending the white glued paper has real-world significance, we realists are left with nothing but logic and creativity clashing together trying to make sense of what we are seeing here. 

Sometimes white paper is just white paper.  Sometimes a bag is just a bag.  Sometimes making too intense a statement leaves you nowhere but alone in the deep end, and you realize you probably should've grabbed that life jacket after all, but you didn't so you just make shit up to keep you afloat.

Sometimes the Emperor has new clothes, and sometimes I am part of a trio that has no problem pointing out that the Emperor is stark raving naked