Tuesday, August 20, 2013

FULL-CONTACT GROCERY SHOPPING



I have decided that grocery shopping should be a full contact sport.

The grocery store should be like Black Friday every single day, where we can smack people with our carts and not even have to apologize for it because it's just the way life is that day.

People who leave their carts in the middle of everything while they block the aisle looking at spices -- Smack 'em.

People who stop their carts right where a palette of boxes are being opened so no one can get by in either direction -- Smack 'em.

People at the deli getting ¼ pound of this and ¼ pound of that and just a smidgen of those and just a slice or two of these -- Smack 'em.

Kids running loose and/or spreading out into a tactical formation so no one can get by without being spit up on or kicked or screamed at -- Smack 'em.

The weird guy who smells of urine and wants to talk to me right as I'm standing all alone in front of the Tampax -- Smack 'em.

The old lady who asks me the best kind of cat food to feed her half-blind, half-lame, extremely obese Calico -- Smack 'em.

The foreigner who touches every single bean because he doesn't have the glossy green ones in his country since the ban of GMO's and he's never seen a mutant vegetable before -- Smack 'em.

The person in front of me unloading her carriage who shoves the gallon of milk to the end of the belt over and over and over again just so I cannot unload my groceries to go through the checkout -- Smack 'em.

The guy who sneezes and wipes his hand across his nose right before picking through the fruit I need -- Smack 'em.

The employees standing around and blocking access because they're the big cheeses and I can't tell them to move because they get paid by the hour so they'll stand there as long as they goddamn well feel like it (even the executives who walk the store) -- Smack 'em.

And this, my dear friends, this is why most people and especially my own children will not be seen in a grocery store with me.  All of these things happened to me just this morning on one shopping trip. 

Okay most of them happened today.  The smelly, peepee-coated guy was last week, as was the guy shopping all alone with six beautiful boys all under the age of nine.  That was hilarious because dad was completely oblivious as the older ones kept kicking the younger ones back into play every time they ran off trying to escape.

I either need anger management classes or else someone needs to turn shopping into a full-contact sport with referees roaming the aisles.  It certainly would be more interesting, and there would be a helluva lot less fighting in the aisles.