Thursday, December 27, 2018

THIRD DAY OF CHRISTMAS = WINE, WINE, AND MORE WINE!

Well, it's the third day of Christmas, and, no, it's not really the day of Three French Hens.  It is, however, the day honoring John the Apostle.   

John received his calling while mending fishing nets, which is a nice interactive activity to have interrupted by The Holy Spirit.  There is a feast (of course) for John the Apostle, who is the patron saint of many things, amongst them authors, bookbinders, booksellers, and editors, so I guess I should put more time into today's celebration.  Of course, I have a dental cleaning today, so maybe I'll read while the hygienist is trying to clean my teeth.  That won't be messy or anything, right?

More important than the patronage and the religious bent of this whole thing, which is ironic since I'm not particularly religious and lean heavy to the agnostic cliff, John is known for blessing the wine.  John drank poisoned wine and lived.  Some say it's because he blessed the wine first, but it is entirely possible that he was related to Rasputin and that's just how he rolled.

It is suggested that the wine be hot mulled wine.  Okay, now we're talking.  I do love a good hot mulled wine, and not many people can pull it off.  I can, though.  I used to make it all the time.  Maybe after I drink enough hot mulled wine, I'll see those Three French Hens. 

So, after the dentist today, I'll get ready to stain my beautifully fluoride-infused choppers with some simmering red wine, all spiced up and stirred with cinnamon sticks.  Then when the dentist complains my teeth are all reddish and dull the next time I see him, I will blame it entirely on John the Apostle and his nefarious wine challenge.