Saturday, December 22, 2018

HAPPY ELECTRONICALLY-INDUCED WINTER

The first day of winter arrives in New England with its usual flare for the dramatic: Torrential downpours and 65 degrees.  That's right -- 65 flipping degrees.  I walk from my car up the street to our school holiday party without even bothering to put on a coat.  It may as well be June except that it is pitch-dark by four-thirty, and everyone is wearing Christmas-themed clothing.

Today during school, though, I try to get into the season.  My sound system breaks in my room, so I have to go old-school (hooking up some well-worn speakers I hid in my closet during one of our many moves from building to building during construction).  I put on some nondescript holiday-ish smooth jazz music and project a fireplace, complete with animated burning logs, onto the front board.

It may be late-spring New England weather outside, but inside my classroom it is true winter ambiance.  Of course, I shut the heat off to my room so we don't all truly roast, but the sentiment is fine, just the same.  Best of all, the days will slowly start getting longer now.  If they don't do so quickly enough, I'll go back to my fake fireplace scene and warm up my spirit by the light of the electronic fire.