Saturday, December 8, 2018

BLANKET FOR THE OLD HWH

Okay, I'll admit it. 

Now I'm just starting to feel sorry for that poor water heater in my driveway.  Every time I walk by it to get to or from my car, I think about animals at the shelter.  Oh, sure, it's not as serious as abandoned pets, but it's the same mindset.  Here is this sad hot water heater that could make some family very, very happy, and yet it just sits here, trying to look tempting to passers-by.  The poor baby is ignored and all alone, night and day, through cold and wind and eventually rain and snow. I don't want just anyone to adopt (steal) the hot water heater.  I'd truly like it to go to a good home, a stable home, a home that won't explode or catch fire or worse.  It hurts my heart to see it.

Today I start having some fun with the gas company, though.  I mean if they're going to just leave the hot water here, I will continue to let it be my muse.  I back my car into the driveway like I always do, glance to my right, shake my head that the machine is still here, then decide on today's photo op. 

Yes, like the shelters, maybe if I dress up the hot water heater, someone will willingly adopt it, or maybe the gas company will see it and say, "Oh. my goodness, there's our long-lost baby!  How could we have ever left it behind?!"  Kissy kissy kissy face.

In the back seat of my car are the blankets I use to cover my kayak halves and stuff between them to keep them from clanging against each other while I'm driving.  Obviously it is past a rational person's kayaking season, so the only things left behind are the blankets.  I have a choice of a boring brown fleece blanket, an equally unexciting green fleece blanket, or a small, old, blue and white crocheted afghan.

Like any good fairy godmother, the handmade afghan wins.

Perhaps if it is still here tomorrow, I'll add some of the stuff I have in my trunk.  There's a bathing suit (don't ask me why -- It's November -- I've no logical answer), old jeans, a sweatshirt, a golf umbrella, some snow scarper/brushes, and a pair of walking poles for forest treks.  Hmmmm, maybe I can find the Halloween costumes, too.  I might have a wig I can donate to the cause, some shoes, mittens...

Oh. boy.  The gas company is so going to regret leaving that puppy behind.  I've a feeling I've adopted it by proxy already.