Sunday, December 9, 2018

LIGHT BEER AND A DAY OFF FROM THE HWH

Today I don't have a chance to decorate the hot water heater, but it's still out there and probably will be tomorrow (and maybe for the entire winter), so there's still time.  Today I am trying to recover from being sick.

Honestly, it has been a tough three weeks.  First, I snap my toe in the middle of the night, and no, it has not healed and continues to bug me.  Oh well, I guess arthritis is in my future.  Then a little over a week ago, I started with this massive cold that just will not go away.  It's lingering like an unwanted house guest and continues to plague me like the ... well .... like the damn plague.  (I actually had to sit in a corner during a huge meeting on Friday when I declared myself to be Typhoid Mary to protect them all from ruining the holidays lest they become infected.)

I need to go to the pharmacy and stock up on cold medicine because now my youngest is sick, too.  I doubt he got it from me since he has barely been home, we don't really see each other - just kind of pass by on occasion when our schedules meld - so the chance of infection from being near me is low.  However, his girlfriend is also feeling the effects of this nasty grippe (she is an elementary school teacher and has not yet encountered every flu known to man on the planet), so I suspect their equally snotty sinuses infected each other.  Anyway, he needs medicine and I need medicine, so I need to go out today whether I want to or not.

I run a couple of quick errands before the pharmacy, then I stock up on things like tissues and cough drops and cough syrup.  I have a coupon, so it sort of helps to keep the costs down.  After that, I decide to go to the weekend wine tasting.  I mean, CVS is right next to the store, so I should go.  If the workers in the wine shop see me and I don't stop in, they might be offended.

At the wine tasting, there's some bubbly being sampled, so I have to buy bubbly to make mimosas because they have orange juice and I have a cold so it all makes sense in my snot-infested brain.  I think of my son, home on the big living room chair, and decide he probably should be drinking fluids.  So I head to the regular packy so I can buy beer.

Oh my God, there's a wine tasting there, too.  Not just one table, but two tables are pouring wines that range from $17 a bottle to $80 a bottle.  I sample some but not all - that would be a total of two dozen samples between here and the previous wine shop, and I haven't even had lunch yet.  On a good day when I'm not sick, I might be able to tackle it, but not today.  I rummage through the beer refrigerators, grab something boring and inexpensive, and do the walk of shame past the wine reps and their tables.

I feel a little guilty leaving the store with a six-pack of light beer after sampling and enjoying higher-end wines.  It's all going to even out, though.  I mean, I did buy bubbly at the wine shop so I can make mimosas.  Mimosas have orange juice.  Orange juice is good for me when I have a cold.  I have a cold and feel like maybe I might die.  I don't know why she swallowed the fly...

Anyway, there's the longest explanation on Earth as to why the hot water heater is not decorated today.